Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus

I sit down with a purpose in mind before each session. I find that I stray from that focus. Is that something that is common or am I just "short attention spanned"? It seems to me that as I am working on my original intention something else catches my eye and I want to do that before I forget.

Normal enough
    Herb

Comment

I agree! A lot of carvers will start out with an idea for a block of wood and find something else in the wood...

Claude
      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I start out with a pattern and try to stick to it as close as I can.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

My finished carvings seldom look like the one that was in my head when I started...
          Wayne
          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Unless you're carving as some form of business, it's a hobby. Follow your interests, enjoy it.

Comment

31301FA9-8E99-4E7C-AE76-83068B7BC8CA.jpeg I call it brain lock, when I start to lose focus. When you’ve been work 30 minutes on an ear. Perhaps an advantage of doing larger pieces when this happens I just change up and make hair for a while.
              Ed
              Living in a pile of chips.
              https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

I just start carving and let the carving take me where it will. No set goals, or time limit, just carving where the wood needs attention. I find that staying loose helps me to address the subject as a more integrated whole rather than a conglomeration of separate parts.

Everyone has their own personal approach, none is wrong, it's whatever works for you.
                Arthur

Comment

I've had the problem all my life. Have yet to figure out whether I'm OCD or ADHD!

Comment

A old carver once told me the wood tells you what to do. I find that to be true, no two of my carvings come out the same. There is always something different.

Comment

I don't ever have any carving purpose in mind in the usual sense. Might be 15 seconds ( there's a salmon in the block and I'm holding it by the tail) or I walk past a chunk of a log for 2+ years before I see the sea turtle in it.
                      Once that happens, the rest of the carving, as stylized as they all are, is very straight forward to do.
                      I never succeed with a book pattern and jump into the wood.

Maybe I have an idea. Like, I want to carve a stylized Raven which needs to be about 24" tall. I have piles of wood blocks both in the house and out back. Haven't seen the Raven in any of them so far.
                      Maybe I have not studied them well enough yet.
                      Maybe need to go out to a cedar mill and look for that bird in the block piles.

Right now, I'm recovering from a long sick spell where I saw nothing in any wood. No carving, no tool making even.
                      Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                        A old carver once told me the wood tells you what to do. I find that to be true, no two of my carvings come out the same. There is always something different.
                        I see that when I am carving these pieces of bass wood I bought. True they are pretty homogeneous but I see where direction, depth and length matters and it is due to the wood.

Comment

Working...
                        X