Measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measurement

The symmetrical carving I am copying from a statue I have requires that I takes distances/lengths, etc. One of the replies to an earlier post of mine mentioned calipers. What kind/brand do you use? Or, what do you use instead?

My drawings and subjects vary so much in size, I use a whole variety of measuring caliper sorts of things
    All of these catalog numbers are from Lee Valley ( and my very generous kids with Gift Cards!)

07K06.01 Pantograph. I modified it for weight with aluminum strap arms.
    88N04.01 Meterstick trammel point compass set. Very handy.
    05N20.03 8" divider. I actually have an old one from my grandfather.
    05N34.01 & 05N34.03 Small and large proportional (adjustable) calipers. Very cool looking wood working tools

03N01.01 PVC Profile Gauge (10")
    You square the lot then push it against any contour and they shift to match the subject contour.
    Lay that down and trace the outline. Not really a smooth line but far better than nothing.
    The frames are made to link together. I have 3 of them. Two would have been plenty.
    Last edited by Brian T; 03-18-2020, 06:42 PM.
    Brian T

Comment

Here are some of the devices I use for measurements.
      6858F272-D059-4CD1-8FFA-73F4DA5482B8.jpeg
      Ed
      Living in a pile of chips.
      https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

You can also use a drafting compass if it is big enough. If you don't have one, get a cheapy until you like using it.
        Set the compass needle point where you measuring from and set the pencil at the point your measuring to.
        Move the compass needle point to the point on the wood your measuring from, and then strike a mark with the pencil point.
        200318_0001.jpg
        Here I measured from the bottom of the pompom to the tip of the nose.

Bob L

Comment

For some unknown reason I hung on to a small, inside/outside, ruler caliper that I had saved from shop class over 60-years ago. Since I don't often carve anything larger that 2" x 2" or at the most 2" x 3" this little stainless steel "General" #729, is all I need

Comment

I'm funny. I read these posts and recalled I had a cheap plastic compass I had bought for a different project. I am not the most organized guy so I set about looking for it. Garage, closet, drawers(cleaned two), etc. Then like magic it was right in front of me. I thought it was orange and white....it is red and black. Thanks so much for the kind replies
            Attached Files

Comment

"General" makes an amazing range of odd little hand tools. I was given one, intended for measuring the tip angles on drill bits (5 different ones). Turns out to be ideal for measuring bevel angles of every kind of cutting edge. Because I do all freehand sharpening, I needed to keep track of all the different bevel angle, factory or of my own.

Every once in a while, local hardware stores would have some sort of a sale with large plastic tool boxes for cheap.
              I gave everyone in my entire family 2 or 3 each to keep tools and art stuff sorted out.
              I think the boxes are nearly as important at the tools kept together inside.
              Brian T

Comment

Yup that'll work.

Bob L

Comment

Working...
                X