This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have concluded

that I need a saw to cut blocks (4x4x8 in) into sizes I want. I can buy a tool and I think it should be a band saw or a scroll saw. Either will be a budget item. What should I get? I am leaning to a band saw but maybe the scroll saw can give me straight cuts as well.

Perhaps you should check the math. The price list for Heinecke Wood Products shows that it would actually be cheaper to buy 2 x 2 x 12 basswood pieces than cutting them from a 4 x 4 x 12 block! $11 vs $12.10 How long will it take to recover the cost of a bandsaw if you're losing a dollar on every block you resaw?

Comment

No comment on the math, but if I was going to be cutting 4” blocks it would be the bandsaw no doubt

Comment

If I was going to be a woodcarver I’d go with the bandsaw also.
        Ed
        Living in a pile of chips.
        https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          Perhaps you should check the math. The price list for Heinecke Wood Products shows that it would actually be cheaper to buy 2 x 2 x 12 basswood pieces than cutting them from a 4 x 4 x 12 block! $11 vs $12.10 How long will it take to recover the cost of a bandsaw if you're losing a dollar on every block you resaw?
          But if I want a 1x3 then a 2x6 then a 4x4 or just a chunk for practice.....

Comment

the bandsaw would have a world more power for slicing through a 4x4, you can put on various width blades on a bandsaw, from 1/8 inch for fretwork to 3/4 inch for ripsawing and sizes in between.
            Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

I'll cast my opinion along with the bandsaw people. They are really good at what you want to do and a scroll saw will probably not have the size needed for what you want to do...at least at an affordable cost.
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Band saw probably best option. Scroll saws often have dinky little motors in them that would struggle on big stuff. Would also tend to wander all over the placeI think on bigger stuff. Band saw with different blades gives you lots more options.

Comment

I have a bandsaw and would agree that it is what most carvers would use, but don't kid yourself about the rationale for buying one. You like tools and may have a tool acquisition addiction. LOL

Comment

A scroll saw is great for up to 2" throat but over that you're back to the same problem. I have a scroll saw and only work with pre-sized wood, usually 1.5 to a max of 2". Any tool is great as long as it's performing 100% but when something breaks on them they become a money-pit unless you've got the production to cover maintenance and repair. Suggest using a band saw if you must but the idea of ordering pre-sized would seems much more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                      I have a bandsaw and would agree that it is what most carvers would use, but don't kid yourself about the rationale for buying one. You like tools and may have a tool acquisition addiction. LOL
                      I don't kid myself about anything. There is no point in making up stuff to tell yourself. I want this tool because I can't make the cuts with what I already have. I only buy a tool when I need it. Don't project on me what you may do. Thanks for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                        A scroll saw is great for up to 2" throat but over that you're back to the same problem. I have a scroll saw and only work with pre-sized wood, usually 1.5 to a max of 2". Any tool is great as long as it's performing 100% but when something breaks on them they become a money-pit unless you've got the production to cover maintenance and repair. Suggest using a band saw if you must but the idea of ordering pre-sized would seems much more reasonable.
                        Naw, but thanks.

Comment

You can pick up at good used 14” bandsaw for a reasonable price. I got a janky one off Craigslist years ago. I need to upgrade, but I can easily rough out pieces on it.
                          Anders.

Comment

Jaeon, it’s been my long experience that when a question is posted, answers come based upon the writer’s experience. I don’t think anyone is trying to project upon you but rather give opinions based on their experiences. The great thing is that you’ll get a variety of answers with their reasoning and experience, and then you can decide on your own what will work for you. Good Luck with your quest.
                            Donna_T
                            From Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Jaeon View Post

I don't kid myself about anything. There is no point in making up stuff to tell yourself. I want this tool because I can't make the cuts with what I already have. I only buy a tool when I need it. Don't project on me what you may do. Thanks for the replies
                              Touchy touchy and a bit rude.
                              Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Working...
                              X