Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adapting a project idea to the wood takes many forms. Carvers of found wood often study a piece of wood for hours to discover what's "in there." Most of my projects of the past 20 years have required the build up (lamination) of a wood blank larger than any available chunk. This also calls for special tools.

Comment

Got both saws....4 by 4 by 8 inch is not going to be cut with my scroll saws nor any kind of scroll saw that I have seen as most scroll saws offer a depth of cut between 1 ¾ and 2 ¼ inches. Also, Scroll saws great for drilling holes on thin wood and doing inside cut out but not for something that thick. The most common use for the band saw, however, is in cutting irregular shapes. The second most common use is in resawing or ripping lumber into thinner slabs and blocks which I major do. Smaller pieces of wood, then perhaps a scroll saw may be better at times? And that depends on the scroll saw and kind of wood you are using. The bandsaw is awesome for the beginning cut out for rough out work. Two different saws with usage on very different kinds and sizes of projects. I had one scroll saw that was not worth two cents, so do research on them before buying, reading the complaints often helps in making a choice. One thing I know, cheap budget is not always the best choice, you get what you pay for, just one person's opinion in thousands. I learned that one major when I started ....bought the cheapest I could find, ended up flushing them down the toilet in a short time. Although if you can find a carpenter or wood carver upgrading his machine, you will luck out if the machine is still in good condition.
      Last edited by Dileon; 06-28-2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
        I have a bandsaw and would agree that it is what most carvers would use, but don't kid yourself about the rationale for buying one. You like tools and may have a tool acquisition addiction. LOL
        I do not have an addiction rather than I have an obsession .....my bandsaw is number one!!! and it is a must-have and must being running... out of all my power tools. The number one tool that I can not live without. LOL I think tool acquisition begins when you start saying that there has to be a better and easier way to do this!!! And someone goes I just bought this tool and it is pretty great. And you go darn got to get it. Plus some of the hardwoods are like cutting rocks,.... a good bandsaw....an an outstanding tool.

Comment

Band saw will give you the most versatility for the sizes you want. And being able to rough out shapes. Scroll-saw are limited to 2” stock or smaller sizes.

Comment

I picked up an old Craftsman 3/4 "12 inch" bandsaw for $50 at a garage sale when I started carving. Maximum cutting height is 6 inches. With a 1/2 inch blade, I can resaw 6" oak no problem. For carving cutouts, I usually use a 3/16 blade with 3 TPI. Works really well. That tired old bandsaw just keeps going. Given the choice, I'd take a bandsaw over a scroll saw any day.

The scroll saw I bought used five years ago still sits in the shop, waiting for me to clean it up, buy some blades, and turn it on.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
              Adapting a project idea to the wood takes many forms. Carvers of found wood often study a piece of wood for hours to discover what's "in there."
              That's how they do it? I just start carving stuff away until I like what's left.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaeon View Post

I don't kid myself about anything. There is no point in making up stuff to tell yourself. I want this tool because I can't make the cuts with what I already have. I only buy a tool when I need it. Don't project on me what you may do. Thanks for the replies
                The post you responded to is a theme that surfaces often here, i.e., most of us always want "one more tool", and the "LOL" that followed should be a clue that the comment was not to be taken seriously, don't you think?

If you look at past posts you'll see that while we don't always agree, we always keep things amiable and respectful.
                Arthur

Comment

Working...
                X