Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on 2 knives for Whittling. (New Guy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im looking for a knife that can do abit more detailing. At the moment im just carrying a block of Basswood (still easier to find Basswood in UK than it is to find Lime wood in my opinion lol) and knife so im not really gathering my own wood at the moment to strip off larger bits. And if im at home i i have a selection of knives that could do that anyway. Its just getting a good All purpose knife for wood carving to start off with, or now im thinking about it. Maybe just a detailing knife and then switch to my Leathermans or something to strip the larger bits for now.

I am looking into the Helvie knives right now. Found a couple hunting knives by them i think yesterday in a camping store and thought i must look into that. So im going to take a look into it now and get back to you guys.

I genuinely have never taken so long to buy something in my life! Usually just buy then regret later down the road haha.

Comment

American wood carving/whittling knives are the most astounding little flakes of steel.
      I have a couple of those from individual bladesmiths.

I do believe that learning to sustain that "carving sharp edge" is a big piece of the work.
      I never see any carvings here made from beard or arm hairs. Not a popular material.
      Shaving sharp isn't good enough.

The other thing is that you will have to "learn the wood." What's good, bad and indifferent.

I suggest that you spend a little time learning some of the basics of wood anatomy.
      Not every log is carving quality. Some sawyers know that, many don't need to care.
      Not too tricky to learn what is worth buying and what will be a fence board forever.

Shame you can't come with me next week. I'm going to buy some log pieces,
      96" and shorter, IF I see what I want.

79682657_10156531841436821_8997234166110093312_o.jpg
      Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM4r5h411 View Post
        Im looking for a knife that can do abit more detailing. At the moment im just carrying a block of Basswood (still easier to find Basswood in UK than it is to find Lime wood in my opinion lol) and knife so im not really gathering my own wood at the moment to strip off larger bits. And if im at home i i have a selection of knives that could do that anyway. Its just getting a good All purpose knife for wood carving to start off with, or now im thinking about it. Maybe just a detailing knife and then switch to my Leathermans or something to strip the larger bits for now.

I am looking into the Helvie knives right now. Found a couple hunting knives by them i think yesterday in a camping store and thought i must look into that. So im going to take a look into it now and get back to you guys.

I genuinely have never taken so long to buy something in my life! Usually just buy then regret later down the road haha.
        Would be really interested to know where u found the helvie knife in the UK camping store please mate?? I can't even put an order in on there website to have one shipped as they are so busy with back orders

Comment

Working...
        X