Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a reinterpretation of someone elses carvings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a reinterpretation of someone elses carvings.

I did try to do a search with the words above but got no results... So... Here's the thing... I was introduced to Mark Doolittle's work today.... I mean, it's beautiful. And i want to do something similarly close to it. I'm based in a place with lovely coral reefs and marine wildlife, so yh... I really, really liked his interpretations and his visions... So the question is... Am i allowed to try my hand at works that will look similar to his.

Yes, Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
      Yes, Merle
      I will be selling the final works... But i know nothing about copyright or stuff like that. I also don't want to offend the original artist... Should i approach him before and ask for permission? I mean... there are lot's of artists that "do work in the image of... this chap or that chap..." It will never be an exact copy of his pieces.

Comment

Yes, you can copy work as long as you do not sell it or claim it as your own work. If you change it so it does not look like the original art and make your own work yes, you can copy it and sell it. You can copy the work completely also if you have permission from the person who made the work especially if you are showing the work to the public. What you're mainly asking is a copyright issue. Now for example if you copy work from Disney such as Mickey Mouse...you may have their attorneys banging on your door...they have zero toleration. When in art school we copy the masterworks often, in order to learn how to do it. We were not allowed to sell it nor claim it was as anything but a copy. It is although an awesome way to learn how to do that kind of carving.

Comment

Awesome. Thank you for taking the time folks.

Comment

Originally posted by rraposo View Post

I will be selling the final works... But i know nothing about copyright or stuff like that. I also don't want to offend the original artist... Should i approach him before and ask for permission? I mean... there are lot's of artists that "do work in the image of... this chap or that chap..." It will never be an exact copy of his pieces.
            If it looks like his work, you may have a lawsuit on your hands, so if selling it, make sure you have changed it enough that when I look at the work, I can not say oh that is Mark's work. If you want to sell it and it looks like his work you needed to write permission to do so.

On this note, some people do not care if you copy their work and will tell you to go ahead and try. Copywrite is a hot topic as one has to file a claim...but makes some artist mad, so trend carefully...LOL
            Last edited by Dileon; 12-10-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

For your consideration. https://www.thelegalartist.com/blog/...opyright-style
              Ed
              https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
              Local club
              https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

Imagine someone copyrighting a Santa ornament woodcarving. Imagine someone suing for infringement.

Comment

Art has been done in stylistic groups since time immemorial. Flat Plane, as an example.
                  The four basic First Nations styles here in the Pacific Northwest.

My carvings show my life's influence from First Nations work.
                  At the same time, I do things which are uniquely mine.

What are the significant points of distinction that set Doolittle's work apart from others?
                  Import those with your own innovation and ingenuity.
                  Brian T

Comment

When I see a Picture of something that I would like to carve I try to make it Exactly as the Picture , but my Carving Skills does not Allow me to do that , so Consequently it becomes my Version . That's my Story and I'm sticking to it . Merle

Comment

Agree with Merle, very few people in the world can copy someone work to complete likeness, although I do not believe it has anything to do with skills and has to do with each of us are so very different, what we see, what we feel, what we like and do not like makes us unique and so is the work we do.

Comment

I googled Doolittle's art work. I can't imagine where to begin to copy those things.
                        I suspect that his education as a molecular biologist colors the themes from time to time.
                        Brian T

Comment

rraposo, what you are talking about is inspiration, not copying.
                          All artists, musicians, etc., are inspired by the works of others.
                          There is nothing wrong with that, it's how we learn and grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                            I googled Doolittle's art work. I can't imagine where to begin to copy those things.
                            I suspect that his education as a molecular biologist colors the themes from time to time.
                            Agreed. I find his pieces so... i lack the words to described them... i just get in awe.

Comment

Here's a test "copy" i tried to make... Too start i think it's a bit too similar so i won't be finishing it, rather it will go into storage... However it did allow me to rethink my approach and I'm going to use an "adaptation" of his ideas... I'm posting my carving and his for comparison. It also tought me what not to do and a few other bits
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by rraposo; 12-11-2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X