Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banana shaped edge after sharpening my straight whittling knives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VictorMet7
    replied
    Originally posted by peteswright View Post
    Pretty much as in the title!!! What do I do to correct this. I start out by making sure I have a straight tip to heel edge, burr both sides, strop, check the edge and its banana shaped in the middle. HELP!
    similar situation with me

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Usually a banana shaped blade will evolve if a knife is stropped on a power buffing wheel for too long or too many times. If all you are performing is hand stropping then perhaps you should take notice if you are tipping the blade as you pull it off the strop edge so that even though you start off flat you still put uneven pressure at the end.

Leave a comment:

• peteswright
    replied
    Thanks for replies.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Actually, that's handy if you're whittling fruit flies. Sorry, I know that's not helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Get some black felt marker on that blade and bevel so you can see where the uneven pressure affects the blade.

Stand up (if you can). With your arms tight against your sides, your body becomes the jig.
    You need to sharpen from your knees, not from your elbow motion, as I suspect.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Is your sharpening medium straight (flat)? Are you working it flat? Does the banana shape affect your whittling?

Leave a comment:

• dave.keele
    replied
    Pictures are always helpful.... not sure what banana shape is.... concave or convex? Power sharpening or hand?

Please see my (and other's) comments at:

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...-carving-knife
    Last edited by dave.keele; 12-30-2020, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Banana shaped edge after sharpening my straight whittling knives.

Pretty much as in the title!!! What do I do to correct this. I start out by making sure I have a straight tip to heel edge, burr both sides, strop, check the edge and its banana shaped in the middle. HELP!
Working...
X