• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joecarve64
    replied
    Joe,
    Funny stuff!
    Thanks.
    My version of a Dali who reprised that same ‘Sunday morning’ every day of the week...Joe

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    My clock use to look like that on Sunday mornings when I woke up∙∙∙∙
    Good job, a real eye catcher

Leave a comment:

• Joecarve64
    replied
    Have made a few clocks with butternut. Definitely more of a challenge than soft wood however partly due to the need to improve my skill in working with this wood. I did note some holes along the way and realized using any electric tools can be problematic vs hand tools for precision. Note: Many of the works shown on this forum are just fantastic. Great motivation to improve!!!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    I have a few butternut block. The are clear of the holes but most of the time there are some.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    I got an order of butternut in last week...it's wormy, and I expected it to be from everything I've read.

I'm now starting my first butternut piece ever, and I must say I love the way it carves. I'll have to reserve judgment until I'm further along, but my first impression is that I prefer it to basswood. I'm working on a relief of an oak branch with leaves and acorns, and the initial gouge cuttings have been exceptionally crisp and clean, leaving in some cuts a glassy surface. Beautiful grain that I think I'll finish with an oil to pop it out.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Butternut is a delight to carve and have developed an appreciation for it. Depending on the vendor, it is usually clear, but some do have the holes. The holes don't seem to bother most people...just an enhancement to the carving. However, I have seen people make "wormy" carvings and they actually were very desirable.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    These are carvings in Butternut, otherwise known as American or White Walnut. The larger piece has no wormholes.

039.JPG FlyingHorses.jpg ball 002.JPG
    Last edited by pallin; 01-12-2021, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Curly Early
    replied
    I think most Butternut will have the wormholes. I have seen some expensive carvings with the holes, it didn't appear to bother the artist nor the value of the carving. After seeing the high priced carvings with holes, it didn't bother me to have the holes in mine. I would have no problem using the wood. My take---

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    I had about the same experience with butternut, will be stick to the basswood.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Ellis
    replied
    I would check their description of the wood, and if it doesn’t mention the problems, I would try to return it. Clear butternut is very nice to carve, and has beautiful grain showing when finished.

Leave a comment:

• temaz02780
    started a topic Butternut

Butternut

I've been carving for about a year now and thought it was time to try something other than basswood. So my first order of butternut got delivered today: 1x1's, 3x3's, and a 4x4.
    I am quite surprised to find that ever piece in the order is riddled with worm holes and a few knots. Is this normal for butternut? I'd heard it is a joy to carve but frankly I'm disappointed.
    Thanks.
    Tom
Working...
X