Cold outside, time to carve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daliab View Post

Eddy-Smiles....Expecting -24 degrees low tomorrow and the power just went out. Wish you were here to enjoy.
    Not in this lifetime!

Comment

It's really nice out: about 25F, very gentle S breeze and steady snow flakes. Might snow all week but it won't be cold. 4x4 on very good snow tires and I can chug around most any place. The 454 in the Burb is really over-powered in any snow.
      Me?
      Flannel-lined jeans, good Carhartt winter shirts and a couple of wind-proof Carhartt coats.

The big indoor issue? Static electricity. Do you have any idea how bad that can be for wood chips and shavings to NEVER hit the floor but to stick to everything I'm wearing? I've tracked that stuff all over the house in the last few days. Used to be the carpet on the lower stairs caught everything.
      Brian T

Comment

Brian T. I know the exact feeling about the wood chips sticking to you.

Comment

Two new carvings started and finished over this last weekend.
          Attached Files

Comment

75 degree temp swing in a week here...70F yesterday, one week ago, high was -5F...

Great carvings, Dailab!!!!

Comment

Dailab, fine job of flat plan carving and painting.

I kind of a weird duck, but when I started carving, I remove the sharp point of a faucet off, that is the way I taught my shape a carving ???????

. . .JoeB

Comment

Today's effort.
                Attached Files

Comment

Those look very nice. I did a few of those standing Santas for presents this year. They're fun to carve.
                  https://www.triadwoodcarvers.com/

Comment

Here it's ranging from -48 to -53c windchill. Definitely carving and woodstove weather! Sometimes I giggle when I see some talk -10, but then realize it's only my normal life!
                    stay warm everyone!
                    My blizzard yesterday was nothing at 1:12 pm, than 1:13 0.2 visibility!
                    temp -34-38 c.
                    pulled the kids out of school since we live in the bush 13kms away. Everyone got home safe

Comment

Becky: I thought you guys might see some relief. I know the Chinook got as far as southern MB.
                      All we get is mild but windy/stormy blizzard stuff and the avalanche hazard jumps up to nearly extreme.
                      I could not help but notice today that the front lilac bush buds are swelling.
                      Anything other than Spruce green will be a relief.
                      Brian T

Comment

Churchill, Manitoba, I've heard of it before, sure, but never read about it. Lady, you and your family have to be considered hardy people! And I looked up the word hardy="bold, brave a hardy intrepid spirit. 2 : audacious, brazen. 3a : accustomed to dealing with fatigue or hardships : robus" and to hunker down in Churchill I would agree!
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Todays effort.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like he just saw a big cup of hot chocolate & some cookies . Good effort
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Well, my luck ran out, it's no longer "Cold outside, time to carve." We had a record matching 2/27 at 85 degrees yesterday, so instead of carving I've spent the last two days planting shrubs and rose bushes...more of the same today.

Be glad when it's done, but it's never really done when you have a home to maintain and have the mindset of "Why have someone come in and do that when I can do it myself?" My body knows why, but my mind still thinks I'm 35, LOL!
                              Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                                Well, my luck ran out, it's no longer "Cold outside, time to carve." We had a record matching 2/27 at 85 degrees yesterday, so instead of carving I've spent the last two days planting shrubs and rose bushes...more of the same today.

Be glad when it's done, but it's never really done when you have a home to maintain and have the mindset of "Why have someone come in and do that when I can do it myself?" My body knows why, but my mind still thinks I'm 35, LOL!
                                ArthurC. Exactly! In every old body there's a young mind that says "I can still do that" until you try to jump over that chain link fence.

Comment

Working...
                                X