No announcement yet.

Rock hard basswood over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, basswood does get hard. I have had the same problem....more than 2 year old wood. Great ideas above....thanks!

Comment

I guess I will interject my say-so here. As some of you may remember I like harder woods, and stone, soapstone, alabaster. I have run into some Maples that are so hard that I wish I had sent it on to the crib. But the result's are great, and the final sanding down to 1200 grit brings out that grain that you just can't see in Basswood.

Now Basswood hardening, after I have moved up to eastern central Washington state, yes it hardens and makes it more ( to me fun) . I have some of my carvings in an unprotected window, sunburned and very hard. Now to the 50/50 mix in my stock of Bass when I cut a new piece out I do spray it well and let it set for a couple minutes.
      One time a few years ago I messed up and put all my wood in a bucket with 50/50, NOT A good idea. It dried and cracked when put on the shelf.
      And I only do as, Brian T says, free hand sharpening. I sometimes make a small knife so I sharpen it to my needs.
      An added note IF any of you don't want your hard wood.. .......
      Chuck
      Chuck
      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Working...
      X