Chip carving knife recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip carving knife recommendation

New to wood carving and want to try chip carving, any recommendations for a good chip carving knife, I’m in the uk if that makes a difference.

I am not really a chip carver but I have two Wayne Barton chip carving knives I use for detail and doing lines. A number of friend who do chip work recommended them to me. Pfeil, Two Cherry, also make chip carving sets and are excellent tools. There are some very good chip carvers here that will share Iam sure.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

The slicing cuts of chip carving call for a short, straight edged, stiff blade. On some, the cutting edge is angled inward toward the handle. Contrary to the "sets" advertised, most chip carving is done with one or two knives - the one described above and a plunge knife (one with the cutting edge across the end, to be plunged vertically.)
      Of the knives pictured, the top one is what I use, the middle is a detail knive (not suitable for chip work), the lower is another version of the #1. I have also done chip carving with a fishtail gouge as it this discussion:

Chip carved illusion - Woodcarving Illustrated
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I do lines with a Moor Large Chip carving knife, the bevel is slanted downwards.
        It has taken extreme pressure most times for a deep cut. Why it has not snapped off, I don't know.
        Don't be deceived by the goofy-looking plastic handle: it does fit a human hand!
        Brian T

Comment

Good comments all. There are a number pf quality Chip Carving knives, some are mentioned above. In addition to them I would add Marty Leenhouts knives also (my chip carving.com). Bottom line get the best you can afford.
          Steve
          Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

Comment

The choice of knife will not guarantee results with chip carving. This activity requires precise, repeated cuts that are more dependent on the skills & attitude of the carver. If you don't have the attention span to actually enjoy hundreds of identical cuts, this may not be for you.

Comment

Often, which chip knife from which manufacturer is not as important as what bevel angle you have on your cutting edge.

There is a wide variety of high quality chip knives available today. In fact, you could start a whole new hobby by just collecting new and unique handled chip knives.

Any chip knife needs a very narrow leading edge angle - usually around 12 degrees. That is just high enough off your fine sharpening stone to slide 4 to 5 sheets of paper under. That thin leading edge that the pressure off of the fine corner points. Less steel, less chipping.

If you are relief carving you may want your knife edge around 20 degrees for soft wood. If you are using a mallet with your tools and hard wood you may want an even thick leading edge.

But for any chip knife thick 'razor blade thin'. The highest quality steel chip knife that has a thick leading edge will never cut as well as a cheaper one bevels to 12 degrees.

Comment

I have a Drake and a Dave Notto, both outstanding IMHO

Dave

Comment

Hi Ecca, in the UK Pfeil, Stubai, Flexcut and Beavercraft chip carving knives are readily available. I've just ordered a Beavercraft stab knife and two Beber chip carving knives to try out. I also have some unbranded knives that work well, I've even made my own out of a bandsaw blade.

Comment

Lofty: Nice variety of blades to recommend.
                    How do you maintain the edges?
                    What do you recommend for the total included bevel on the blades?
                    Brian T

Comment

Working...
                    X