Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob K.
    replied
    BLO is very dangerous to use because of it's combustibility hazard. People have almost burned their shops down due to using BLO. BLO also darkens over time and will eventually darken your carvings. I prefer to use walnut oil. It's more expensive to buy but cheaper than burning your house down. Unlike BLO, walnut oil is non-combustible and won't darken your carvings over time.

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    Cute little Gnomes! Each one is a little different and I like the paint job...not too heavy. Great colors too. Nice job!

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
    While we are talking about BLO please watch this video, it shows how easy rags catch on fire.
    Di Thanks for this and Firstly, people that would put wet oily rags in a card board box. IMHO are about 10 bricks short of a shovel full. I very rarely use a rag in my BLO usages and only to wipe up small spots, and I use mostly a brush, then off to a can with cleaner. This is a good show for high school and college class's and people that have never worked in this type of materials. Shure it will go in a very hot environment, such as this tin lidded can .
    Stay safe and be well
    Chuck
    Last edited by Claude; 01-25-2022, 12:05 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    While we are talking about BLO please watch this video, it shows how easy rags catch on fire.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Yes no one way to do anything. That is why we have people who can give different advice....and also experiment on your own. One thing great about this forum tons of different opinions to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• yolli
    replied
    tbox61: Thanks for your postings. Thanks for showing the character, Your caricature is great and the painting also.
    DiLeon: Thank you for the detailed info to "oil and acrylics". I putthe BLO on with a brush and let soak in about 10 minutes, then dried and waited for one day before painting. Nevertheless I will try another method. I appreciate your comments, I am willing to learn and think there is no better way to learn as from people like you (and others on this forum) who has been studying and trying (donot know, how to say correct, hope you understand me...thanks a lot to all) Thanks also for the video (if I have time this weekend, I will look)
    Merle Rice: Hi Merle, no problem with "mess in my mind" , thanks for your information (hope your flu is getting better!!)

What did I learn...there are many "roads to Rome", and I will give them a try...I am happy with comments and am glad to be in this forum.
    Greatings from Austria, Yolande

Leave a comment:

• tbox61
    replied
    Here is a carving I did using BLO first...I painted the eyes and teeth first, then coated it in BLO, let dry for 72 hours and then cams back with the hair color and color of the clothes. I had no problem with the water thinned acrylics sticking to the wood.

The skin tone is BLO only on the bare wood. I used a dull deer antler on the skin areas and burnished it. I like the color it gives the skin.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Yolli , now to give you something to mess with your Mind . When I carved Santas and other Carvings that I Painted I always put BLO on them before Painting and never had a Problem of Paint not Sticking . I liked the Color that it gave for the Skin Tone . Maybe it was because I didn't Soak them In BLO, I gave them a good Coat and let Stand for about 15 Min. then Wipe it off good, then let Dry over Night before Painting . I have Carvings that I did in 2005 and the Paint still looks like I just Painted it . I also like using BLO because no Blotches after Painting. I use Createx Transparent Acrylic Paint with a Catalyst added, an Airbrush Paint. That might also might be the reason my Paint works over BLO. Just a Thought. Merle

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Originally posted by yolli View Post
    @ ...but why did it function with my paintings?? I did BLO first, then acrylics and then BLO again) Or is it just beginners luck??
    I had few issues using this method, in the beginning with paint did not stick in very few small areas on some pieces. Perhaps more areas had oil on them?? People can have success with your method...lots of depending factors and there are risks.

The rule of thumb of using oil and acrylic together keeps changing over time. Last I look it is ok to put oil on top of acrylic but not the other way around. You want to stick with oil mixed with oil or chemicals. And acrylics work best with water-based mixtures. Although you may have success with BLO and acrylic on top, it is risky( reaction to color pigment darkening, the paint may pop off with time, the paint may have a reaction to oil and mold easily)..as the old saying goes oil does not mix with water. but it is noted as people do use it, I tried after a few years I did not like the long-term end result. Also, BLO must be really dry before putting on anything...which is like oil paints...each layer must be dry before the next layer is put on. One bad thing about me I was college-trained in the chemical reaction of artist materials over a period of time.... so you will hear me talk about this factor. As one person put Di
    I am not looking to make my elf last the next hundred years so no worries
    ...LOL Your paint looks great so far.

I am glad you found the source of the fuzz, I could not for the life of me figure out what it was, sort of even looked like spider webs??? LOL One time I used spray enamel on a carving...I was in my shop. Went back and it had all kinds of stuff stuck to it wood dust, cat hairs....the works...and I had to completely sand it out which was not fun. If I was you get to try different methods on here and do it on scrap wood, see which method will work best for you. The only method I recommend after tons of I know that I do not like the finishes is the one who is a professional master woodcarver in his video think you will really like the results if you can master this technique.

It takes time and trying new things, your always learning...I learn new better things every day. I will note one more thing humidity or dryness in your environment can major effect a finish and even paint....what works for me may not be best for you....this is why you need to test things out. I have often taken everyone's opinions and tested them out ....see which one works for me. Plus items are never wasted for example I always use the things like BLO with artist oil paint it makes an awesome stain for wood or antique stain over paint.
    Last edited by DiLeon; 01-18-2022, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Yolli, your doing Great , keep your Mind and Imagination working . Merle

Leave a comment:

• tbox61
    replied
    Great carving, and great paint job!!!

I started dipping my carvings in BLO and then painting with thinned acrylics. I really like the look. I learned this from caricature carver Roger Stegall in his class I took a year ago.

I then finish with clear Minwax 209 stain. It gives my carvings a great finish.

Good luck and keep the pics coming!

Leave a comment:

• yolli
    replied
    @Berg: You are right...I will have to study pants again
    @Di: Thanks for looking and comment. I looked at the close ups and I know what it is...to the end, I polished the wax with a polish cloth, I think this one has fuzzies , I will have to use an other one. (thank you for your compliment...blushing...I will go on, but have to try something else, I will not stuck to the same things)
    Just another question: You told one shall never use acrylics on oil. I will keep this in mind, and with my next painting, I will do something else before painting (probably clear spray, in the way Claude and Arthur said) ...but why did it functioned with my paintings?? I did BLO first, then acrylics and then BLO again) Or is it just beginners luck??

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Gnomes are perfect and I love the paint job. When you double click your pictures it enlarges the areas then double click again you get a big close-up of the work, ...it appears you have hair or fibers, or wood fuzzys stuck in your paint, I can not tell what it is? I know both issues can be a pain in the rear end, I have animals and always digging out hair or my own on my stuff. If it is fuzzies of wood you may want to get them off before painting. I do not paint where I carve. Fuzzy wood I cut off, or fine sand off...or burn off with a wood burner. You are good enough to sell these, keep on going......

Leave a comment:

• Berg
    replied
    The way you do your pants is the reverse of how I do mine. I put the "V" in the front and the "T" across the back.

The world can never have too many gnomes!

B.

Leave a comment:

• yolli
    replied
    : thanks... these ones do have hair

Leave a comment:

Working...
X