Image transfer method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image transfer method

Well, I think I saved myself some money. It's about time after all the knives and other stuff I have bought.

OK, so what happened to all the other text I had in this post? Anyway, I was going to buy a laser jet printer to do the heat transfer tool method. But I tried the inkjet and label paper method and it worked great. I pealed off the labels from a sheet of label paper and printed a B&W image on the glossy side. Carefully taped it to a board and rubbed the heck out of it. Looks great and I didn't have to spend hours tracing lines. Me happy!

Comment

Originally posted by DaleAllen View Post
      OK, so what happened to all the other text I had in this post? Anyway, I was going to buy a laser jet printer to do the heat transfer tool method. But I tried the inkjet and label paper method and it worked great. I pealed off the labels from a sheet of label paper and printed a B&W image on the glossy side. Carefully taped it to a board and rubbed the heck out of it. Looks great and I didn't have to spend hours tracing lines. Me happy!
      DaleAllen When it happens ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is good. And saved $$$$$$.
      Chuck
      Chuck
      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by DaleAllen View Post
        Dale,
        I have been wanting to do this, but haven't figured how to reverse the image? Does your method bypass having to make a reverse image to transfer to the wood?

Comment

In old days we tape the picture up on a sunny window, the picture facing the window and you should be able to see the image and traced it to another piece of paper. Now you got two pictures one should be reversed if you did it right. Another method would be using carbon or tracing paper....again trace the outlines of your object onto a new paper. Next...The paper that has a traced object put another tracing paper back of this page face up toward the item you just traced...and trace the object again...this will put a reverse line drawing on the back of your page which you can use as a reversed drawing that is equal to the first drawing.

On note a lot of what I write disappears at times...sometimes no problem. Other times I post and half of it is gone been an issue for months now.
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
            In old days we tape the picture up on a sunny window, the picture facing the window and you should be able to see the image and traced it to another piece of paper. Now you got two pictures one should be reversed if you did it right. Another method would be using carbon or tracing paper....again trace the outlines of your object onto a new paper. Next...The paper that has a traced object put another tracing paper back of this page face up toward the item you just traced...and trace the object again...this will put a reverse line drawing on the back of your page which you can use as a reversed drawing that is equal to the first drawing.

On note a lot of what I write disappears at times...sometimes no problem. Other times I post and half of it is gone been an issue for months now.
            Thanks, Di! I will try that!!!

Comment

I open the image of what I'm wanting to carve on the computer, there is a header "image", click on it and there is the option of "horizontal flip", printed it off and you have your reverse image.
              . . .JoeB

Comment

I use my sunny south-facing glass balcony doors as my tracing table. Very convenient for the larger drawings done on white paper "banquet roll," which is 36" wide.

It's OK to use greasy "carbon paper" for the smaller desk top reversals. On the wood, I use "graphite paper" which can be erased, I don't have to carve it off.

For sizing, I found that the Lee Valley pantograph is very flimsy with thin wooden arms. Tends to skate all over the place. So, I bought 3/4" x 1/8" x 48" aluminum strips and cloned the thing with a little more weight. That was easy to copy and use the existing LV hardware.
                Brian T

Comment

tbox61, i use an old version of photoshop to flip the image horizontally if necessary. If there is text or the image needs to be the way it shows as printed then this method requires that you flip it. Even the heat transfer method requires that. There are other methods too but this works great for my chip carving images and relief carving designs. In Windows, both paint and paint3D have the horizontal flip function. Other programs do too and no doubt there is somewhere on the web where you can upload an image and get it back flipped.

Comment

You can also transfer a laser print to wood using acetone. Combine that with mirroring the image and you have a pretty good way of transferring the image. https://www.littlebighappythings.com...fer-onto-wood/

BobL

Comment

Working...
                    X