Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

# 20-23 They said They wanted to be coloured...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # 20-23 They said They wanted to be coloured...

My Tiki-heads are finished...free after patterns from Lora S. Irish. After asking about the figurines (do they have to be coloured or not) ...I asked my carvings...they told me, they liked to be (but only a litte bit )
    I carved from Linden-wood, after that I stained all four in different colours, then painted and then finished with Minwax fast drying polyurethane clair satin (two coates, not quite happy with it, will try something else next time).
    Please give me your tipps, comments and critics (only on this way I can learn)

IMG_20220813_151336.jpg IMG_20220813_151411.jpg IMG_20220813_151209.jpg IMG_20220813_151234.jpg
    I still not know what to carve next...have to think about (perhaps something for the Holidays??)

Hi, Yolli, Smile makers for sure. I don't see why your not Satisfied with them , I like them. Maybe more Color? Merle

Comment

I agree with Merle, they look very nice to me. I really like the subtle tones of the painting. Very nicely done!

Comment

Very nice carvings and I'd be proud of them. Colors seem appropriate and the figures look like Tiki's I've seen..but no expert.

Never too early to think about fall carvings.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Hi Merle, the colouring is ok for me. The rather pale colours ware purpose. But the finishing... after applying two coates, it felt not smooth... had to sand again... I like a nice smooth feel (if I touch something, it has to be 'completely smoothely'... no needs to shine, but no goosepimpels when touching ​​​​​​)

Comment

• Claude
            Claude commented
            Editing a comment
            After each coat of finish, rub down the carving with a brown paper bag (grocery bag or lunch bag) that you have wadded up a couple of times and then straightened out. The brown paper acts like a fine sandpaper and smoothes the finish coat nicely.

I like your Tiki's very much! With the finish, you are using a satin, that has an additive to make it satin. To make it feel smooth, it might take at least one more coat.

Comment

Very nice Yolli,I think the color is very nice.
            Mark N. Akers
            My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

@Sappy: Thanks, will try another coat. (or two)
              @Mark: Thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi, Yolli. I think Sappy is right by adding more Coats of finish. A lite Sanding before adding the Coats. I usually put on 4 or 5 Coats of Finish, I like that Smooth Feeling also. I usually do a Final Sanding with 1400 Wet Emory Paper and a Lite Coat of WAX. Merle

Comment

Lots of good advice for some really great carvings. They are GRINNERS for sure
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Great work both the painting and carving
                    Herb

Comment

Nice grouping of Tiki's!

Comment

Thanks all for the tipps... I did the 'brown paper rubbing', added two more coats... now drying till tomorrow, after then I will give it a little bit of wax. I will be happy. Just one more question... what kind of paintbrush do you use to apply the poly?? I ruined one (yes, I cleaned with thinner)

Comment

Hi, Yolli, I use the Spray Can , don't like to clean Brushes . I think Mineral Spirits will Clean the Poly U . Merle

Comment

I do not know where to buy poly in a spraycan. The one I have, I ordered at am*on, price was high, and the shipping exorbitant!! Cannot get Polyurethan in Austria/Europe or cannot find it??

Comment

Working...
                            X