Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My early works…

Hi all,

The first item I whittled was the stick early in the summer and the others I’ve done over the past few weeks. I’m definitely appreciative of the teachings of Tom Hindes, Doug Linker, Carving is Fun and others on YouTube ,the web, the Reddit subs and this forum.

I know I have a long way to go.

Things I’ve learned so far include:

- What I thought was a sharp knife was not “carving sharp”. The Tom Ellis knife I purchased taught me what sharp ought to be. My GEC needs a lot of work.

-Frequent stropping is essential. If I only have my pocket knife I use the case of my pocket stone as a strop. Or my jeans.

-Safety is key. Be mindful and consider safety gloves and or guards. If you’re feeling you need to apply lots of force, stop and reassess your cut.

-You can always take off more wood. You can’t put any back

- Be aware of the grain direction. I’ve un intentionally lopped off noses and hat brims and torn out long strips of wood unintentionally. Turn your piece so you are carving down across the grain, not up.

-Better quality wood is easy to carve. Sticks with bark can beat up your blade.

Things I need to learn:

-How to make cuts deeper

-How to make cuts more accurate especially when the blade is angles as for triangle cuts

-A good method for carving eyes

-Drawing

Any tips are welcome.​

Thanks all. There’s loads of wonderful stuff on this forum!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Welcome to the forum.
    I'm a big Doug Linker fan as well, have carved many of his tutorials.
    I'm a newbie myself, but I'm confident that the more experienced carvers here will have some good advice for you.

Comment

Regarding one of your self-improvement objectives - more accurate cuts. Use stop cuts to define where each cut will end. You seem to have a good understanding of where you want to go with woodcarving. For comparison, here are some of my early works:

009.jpg 039.jpg

Comment

Sounds like you have learned a lot of important lessons. Just keep carving things you enjoy and don’t be afraid to challenge yourself.

My first carving.

9B56E984-33CB-4868-9CDD-CDC1B0FB6ACA.jpg
        Last edited by Nebraska; 09-20-2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Those are very good first carvings
          Herb

Comment

You're off and running in good order, carving, and knowledge. Just be patient with yourself and the enjoyment will grow by leaps and bounds
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Welcome to the forum and you never stop learning. Linker is a great person to learn from.
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Welcome to the WCI Forums.
                Don't worry about trying to make deep cuts, you can work your way down to the depth in several repeated efforts. Or, you can hog out a lot of waste wood with Forstner bits in an electric drill then enjoy cleaning it up.

I'm pleased to read that you have caught on to the concept of "carving sharp."
                The size of the carving doesn't matter, same tool edge quality.
                Brian T

Comment

Welcome to the forums! Those are good first carvings. Your insights for improving and safety tips are right on!

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                  My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                  My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                  My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Nice work! My first carving.....

Wood Spirit.jpg

Comment

Lance, You have a nice variety of subjects for your first carvings. They are coming along great, and will only get better with practice. Youtube is a great source for beginner carvers. I wish it had been there when I started. Kevin Oates is another carver that is great with caricatures. Looks like he uses a sharpened steak knife. Also Ddalo on youtube. Lots of beginner carvings. Have fun, and carve safe.
                      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement! You’ve shown me some great examples of work. There’s so much to learn and to try and fortunately, so many great teachers. I also found some great instruction on Tom Hindes blog and on Don Mertz’s website.

And I have to thank Tom Ellis for the lovely knife under the rightmost figure.

Stay safe and be well!

Comment

Don’t forget Don Mertz, The Wood bee carver. Great website.
                          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Tom Ellis - I’m actually working on a Don Mertz inspired practice exercise as we speak. Need to work on my fuzzies!
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Lance, Make sure two or three cuts come all the way together, and the chip should just fall out. If you have to pry it loose, that is what causes the fuzzies. You are coming along with your work.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X