Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiLeon
    replied
    Another basic video of things to understand about carving eyes. Note lots of videos on this subject, all the way to master carving. There are also books on the subject.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    How to carve eyes watch a lot of videos and then try it again and again until you got it down.

Leave a comment:

• Tordoc2000
    replied
    Great point Tom. Thanks. I also see sloppy areas when I slice towards a stop and make it deeper and deeper. Then I end up with multiple lateral slices along the sides of a cut. I just need to be more mindful of where the point of my knife is.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Ellis
    replied
    Lance, Make sure two or three cuts come all the way together, and the chip should just fall out. If you have to pry it loose, that is what causes the fuzzies. You are coming along with your work.

Leave a comment:

• Tordoc2000
    replied
    Tom Ellis - I’m actually working on a Don Mertz inspired practice exercise as we speak. Need to work on my fuzzies!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Ellis
    replied
    Don’t forget Don Mertz, The Wood bee carver. Great website.

Leave a comment:

• Tordoc2000
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement! You’ve shown me some great examples of work. There’s so much to learn and to try and fortunately, so many great teachers. I also found some great instruction on Tom Hindes blog and on Don Mertz’s website.

And I have to thank Tom Ellis for the lovely knife under the rightmost figure.

Stay safe and be well!

Leave a comment:

• Tom Ellis
    replied
    Lance, You have a nice variety of subjects for your first carvings. They are coming along great, and will only get better with practice. Youtube is a great source for beginner carvers. I wish it had been there when I started. Kevin Oates is another carver that is great with caricatures. Looks like he uses a sharpened steak knife. Also Ddalo on youtube. Lots of beginner carvings. Have fun, and carve safe.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Nice work! My first carving.....

Wood Spirit.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Welcome to the forums! Those are good first carvings. Your insights for improving and safety tips are right on!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Welcome to the WCI Forums.
    Don't worry about trying to make deep cuts, you can work your way down to the depth in several repeated efforts. Or, you can hog out a lot of waste wood with Forstner bits in an electric drill then enjoy cleaning it up.

I'm pleased to read that you have caught on to the concept of "carving sharp."
    The size of the carving doesn't matter, same tool edge quality.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Welcome to the forum and you never stop learning. Linker is a great person to learn from.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    You're off and running in good order, carving, and knowledge. Just be patient with yourself and the enjoyment will grow by leaps and bounds

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied
    Those are very good first carvings

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    Sounds like you have learned a lot of important lessons. Just keep carving things you enjoy and don’t be afraid to challenge yourself.

My first carving.

9B56E984-33CB-4868-9CDD-CDC1B0FB6ACA.jpg
    Last edited by Nebraska; 09-20-2022, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X