Finishing a project with wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing a project with wax?

I read in one of my books that after applying shellac to your carving, you can add thinned beeeswax to give it some shine. I've done a few reliefs with just shellac and now want to try using a wax either after or instead of shellac. So I found this stuff called Briwax. It's supposedly a beeswax base and is used on furniture a lot.

Does anybody have any experience with this product? Or if not, any recommendations on what kind of wax to use?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Finishing a project with wax?

Bright Eyes
    I have not used Briwax or shellac but ... I usualy finish cane staffs with 2 or 3 coats of spray seimgloss polyurethane, followed by a very light sanding when apply a creamy furniture wax. It creates some depth to the finish and durability to stand up to weather. Way off the subject but an example.
    Ah CHip

Comment

NO experience with Briwax but have used Johnsons paste floor wax. Three coats with drying time in between and buffing. All the little bride has to do now when dusting is bufy to her heart's content. Well, something like that. There are several combination of beewax and other materials being used. I use the paste wax on the Scout walking stick also. Durable and those stick/staffs get used a lot.

Comment

I have used Bri-Wax paste with satisfactory results and also the dark liquid to antique over acrilycs. It may have a solvent base that could mess up a new uncured solvent based paint or finish. A solvent based wax shouldn't hurt a shellac or water based finish, but you should test on a small carving before using it on your 'Master Piece.' It gives a nice soft finish.

Good Luck     Ken

Comment

Lisa

I have not tried Briwax but I can highly recomend Butchers Bowling Alley Wax. It may be hard to find but I can send you some to sample if you are interested.

Are you using shellac for color? If so are you looking for a amber tint to your carvings? If so try a Tung oil / wax blend. This will give you a great color, with a satin to semi gloss luster depending on the number of coats you apply.

Also try to use de-waxed shellac. This will leave you more options on what you can use for a top coat if one is desired such as water based coatings. Water based lacquers and poly will not yellow over time as a solvent base will.

Let me know if you would like a sample of Butchers Wax. Or a Tung oil / wax mix.

Dale

Comment

Lisa,
            I have used Briwax on a native bust that I did and loved the result I used a buffing brush on power drill to give it a real nice finish.
            I like the sound of that bowling alley wax I will check with my local bowl- a-rama .
            Colin
            Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
            Jackson, MS

Comment

Wow Thanks guys for all of this great info. You've even answered questions I haven't asked yet! Well, I've definitely got some decisions to make now.

By the way, Dale - is that tung oil/wax mix something you've concocted, or does it have a brand name? Thanks for the sample offer...after I can figure out what I want to try first, I'll let you know.

Once again, thank you all for your help

Comment

Lisa

I do mix my own finish, but it is based on this product link

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...?&sku=2004

The Maloof finishes are a fantastic out of the can finishes. Other finishes may say Tung oil finish but they are nothing more than a thined down varnish.

Dale

Comment

I have used the Briwax recently on a couple of carvings and really like the effect. I used a light stained version on a natural carving with great success. I used a brush to 'knock' off the excess and then buffed lightly. It provided a satin type finish and was very effective in helping antique the carving as the darker wax stained the crevices a little more than the other surfaces.

I was also pleased with the same effect on a painted carving.

I would suggest that you try it on a trial piece first as you may not like the effect.

Comment

Thanks everyone! This is such a great board :

Comment

http://wwwoodcarvRe: Finishing a project with wax?

Bill Judt wrote an article a while back called the SSW method. It stands for 'Sanding Sealer/Wax'. It involves a base-coat of quick-dry Sanding sealer followed by the application a '000' steel wool to smooth the surface, followed by a top-coat of hardwood floor 'paste wax'. He rates this as an excellent finish for relief carvings. Similar to what I use with shoe creams. He also rates other finishes such as; Oils-poor, Beeswax-poor,Tung Oil-good, but limited usefulness, Varethane/Urethane-poor, Paint-good, Shoe Polish-good-very good, Stain-poor-good, Lacquers-fair-good, SSW Method-excellent. If you want to read the article go to http://wwwoodcarver.com/Articles/SSWFinishMethod.pdf
                      Ric

Comment

I'm a big fan of clear Kiwi shoe polish (the wax in a can, not the liquid in a bottle), I've got a bleach basswood polar bear that I did 5 or 6 years ago and finished it with that method and there's not a sign of yellowing or color change at all. Dust him off once in a while and give him a couple licks with a soft cloth and he's good as new.

Comment

I wat to finish a piece made from oak heart wood and want to polish but not change the colour mutch. Bee's wax can do this but doesn't realy protect. Any suggestions. Thank you

Comment

When considering any finish we need to think of the differences between carvings and flat wood surfaces like furniture. Carvings may have deep incised lines, undercut reliefs, exposed end grains. These affect the penetration & coverage of whatever shellac, wax, acrylic, or other finish. Over the long run you may have to strip & refinish these irregular surfaces. For some carvings it may be impossible.

Comment

I use MinWax Tung Oil Protective Finish. Four coats is water-wet glossy. That's as much as is ever needed, including on the diamond willow canes that I buy for myself.

The first coat, however heavy, is satin when it cures. I stop right there, most of the time.

Bee's wax crystallizes to a dull finish. Reheating (buffing friction) will melt the wax so that it crystallizes much more finely to look shiny for a while and collect dust that sticks in it forever.
                              I'm not much of a house keeper and I don't need extra dust and pet hair to glorify my carvings.

I used straight bee's wax on a dish. The application was a kitchen nightmare of a mess.
                              Never again.
                              Brian T

Comment

Working...
                              X