Cat pattern for beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat pattern for beginner?

I'm looking for a pattern of a cat, suitable for a beginner to carve. I found the cat pattern at Porch Patterns ( CAT ) and am prepared to attempt it, but I'm still pretty new at this carving thing (this will be my first figure), and I'd really prefer something that has a bit more in the way of instruction.

Any hints?

Re: Cat pattern for beginner?

Have a look here you might find something suitable.........

Cats - Clipart ETC

Wayne
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Thanks, Soggy, for the link.

Comment

You're probably looking for something in the round but if you want an easy step by step cat project with plenty of photos and directions try this project from the WCI article archives. It's in PDF format.

Wood Carving Illustrated - How-To Magazine for Carvers

Comment

Thanks, Eddy. I am looking for in the round, but that refrigerator magnet is very cool. I've saved it for future reference.

Comment

There was an article in a WCI issue a number of years ago on how to carve a cat, in the round. I know because i carved it for my daughter who is nuts about cats. It was not particularly difficult as I was a beginner at the time and it still came out looking somewhat like a cat. If you cant find it let me know. Jared

Comment

Sometimes you can take a pattern of an animal with a similiar shape and modify it to your own purposes without too much difficulty. Thomp just got through posting a pattern for a raccoon which wouldn't be all that difficult to change into a cat.

Comment

Farmer: thanks. I did a bit more searching and came across this posting:
                http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...ure-cats-5718/

Eddy: I'll see if I can find that raccoon pattern. Thanks.

Comment

my new racoon pattern... - Page 2 - Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board

Comment

I'm bumping this very old post up to current to see if anyone has the WCI Pattern for carving a cat. (or any of the other patterns mentioned) The links on this thread are all out of date and not responding. The site won't allow me to search for cat patterns, or even "cat" alone.

Anything you can provide would be appreciated.

Comment

This is a cat design I have wanted to do in relief:

cat.jpg

Comment

DLarabee, If you can us the first pattern, and cut it out front, side, and top, It should be pretty easy to carve...............Tom
                        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

DLarabee: I've carved several of the kitten on the shelf. The difficult part is the tail. The grain should run from the nose to the tail, but it is still a bit delicate. Always carve from the tip of the tail towards the body and you should be ok, as long as you take little tiny chips off while carving the tail. Kitten Wood Carving Art Sculpture Home Decor $25.00

Claude
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Yeah, I know because i carved it for my daughter who is nuts about cats. It was not particularly difficult as I was a beginner at the time and it still came out looking somewhat like a cat.
                            Chat room

Comment

Working...
                            X