• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woodcarving knife on a budget

Definitely check out Lil Shavers.

Comment

I guess I have some strong opinions towards knife quality, especially for carvers. I made the mistake of buying a very low quality knife from a local craft store to start with and turned out a couple of pitiful carvings with a huge amout of effort. Luckily I stuck with it and bought a good quality knife, and it made all the difference. My suggestion to new carvers is always buy a high quality knife to start with. They carve soooo much better, and if you don't fall in love with carving, I'm sure you can find a buyer for the knife.

By the way, high quality does not always mean high price.
      Brandant Robinson
      Woodcarving Blog - www.theoldstump.blogspot.com
      Custom Folding Knives - https://www.therobinsonedge.com/
      Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/brandant.robinson.1

Comment

Great advice Brandant! I think we've all had similar experiences with tools and can only hope that these new members give some thought to what is said before going out and wasting their money on carving tools at stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Harbor Freight. Not that these stores don't have some craft items that carvers can use, it's just that you need to shop for the right item at the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandantR View Post
          I guess I have some strong opinions towards knife quality, especially for carvers. I made the mistake of buying a very low quality knife from a local craft store to start with and turned out a couple of pitiful carvings with a huge amout of effort. Luckily I stuck with it and bought a good quality knife, and it made all the difference. My suggestion to new carvers is always buy a high quality knife to start with. They carve soooo much better, and if you don't fall in love with carving, I'm sure you can find a buyer for the knife.

By the way, high quality does not always mean high price.
          Well said Brandant!

Dave

Comment

For a quality knife try cape forge or perhaps Brian Ferguson..

Dan

Comment

I made the mistake of picking up a knife and basswood blocks from Michaels. The blade didn't have an edge at all and the wood was rock hard. Lucky for me I found a carving club close by and they've taught me so much. The first thing they did was sharpen my knife for me so that I knew what sharp really meant. They gave me some fresh basswood to practice on. What a difference that made in my decision to keep carving. Soon after that I picked up a Butz knife and it was like night and day. At the advice of the club I stuck with that one for a while before picking up anymore knives. Many new carvers think getting a "better knife" will make them a better carver. A sharp edge and practice is all you need to become better. I agree little shavers is a great starting point. Good luck and date and keep all of your carvings. You will be suprized how you can learn from the ones tha didn't come out the way you wanted them to.

Comment

Working...
              X