Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It just me?????

Yes I am a beginner for about 7 years

I seem to have trouble finishing my projects, I get to just about done and then I stop and start a new project. Life has gotten in the way a time or two,but when I start again it is on something new, is it I just don't know how to finish you think?
    I have 5 projects not fishished.
    Really any help would be a blessing.

Re: Is It just me?????

Well Mike, Let's get er done. And then show some pictures. We all like to see what others are doing. That is today's assignment.

Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Alas Mike you are not alone. However I do not see it as a bad thing. When my mood changes it is worse to mess up something I started than to go on to something else. But never fear, you may return to the headspace for a previous endeavor and finish it. Afterall it isn't homework!

Comment

Im the same, when I stuff up or dont know how to do or have the equipment to do the next bit I come to a grinding halt and before I know it I have a different project underway. I also just plain old lose interest sometimes.

The key for me is to admit defeat, clear out the work area by throwing away what doesnt work and start the new project fresh without the baggage of old projects cluttering my space up. When they get rescued from the bin by a mislead fan, well thats another story. Then I get to enjoy my learning experiences for a lot longer.

Comment

Hi Mike. here's my story about finishing things:
          I was a hobby woodworker who seldom finished anything. I'd get along in a project and something would get in the way- something I didn't like about the project, money issue, etc etc. I got the break of a lifetime (for me) in an opportunity to become a professional cabinetmaker, and the stress I felt over finishing and delivering my first couple projects was painful. However, my paycheck and my mortgage was riding on finishing, so I had to knuckle up and get it done. I spent twenty years as a cabinetmaker, so needless to say I got over it.
          So no, you are not alone. My advice: knuckle up. finish one. then finish another, then another. you'll get over it. I won't start a new whittling if I have one undone.
          Buffalo Bif
          www.bflobif.com

Comment

You are right,I just need a swiff kick in the pants.
            Thanks.

Comment

I usually have at two or three projects in work all the time. When I lose interest in one after a couple hours I work on another. Pretty soon one will be done and then I can start anoter, Etc. Works for me.

Comment

I seem to get a project to the point of paint and then stop also. I keep looking at my carving thinking there might be something to improve on.

Comment

Do what makes you content.

Unless you're supporting your family with carving, you're doing it for the fun of it. If you'll get more satisfaction from finishing a carving, then finish it. If you set a carving (or six or eight) unfinished on a shelf for a year, so what? The world won't come to an end, and when time passes you'll probably pick it up again and finish it.

It's only a hobby after all is said and done, so whatever you do, enjoy it and don't feel pressured to finish a carving or anything else. Remember why you're carving.

You have received 2 cents worth of philosophy. Please send payment to the Carvers Retirement Fund.

Arthur
                  Arthur

Comment

I have to say I like Arthur's answer better than any here, including my own. Thanks for the dose of reality.
                    Buffalo Bif
                    www.bflobif.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfdog View Post
                      Yes I am a beginner for about 7 years

I seem to have trouble finishing my projects, I get to just about done and then I stop and start a new project. Life has gotten in the way a time or two,but when I start again it is on something new, is it I just don't know how to finish you think?
                      I have 5 projects not fishished.
                      Really any help would be a blessing.
                      Mike, I am returning to carving after about a 16-18 year layoff, so I too am somewhat a "beginning " carver. Here is what I told my wife when she brought up a similar point: I'm like the starting pitcher. I work 7-8 innings and then I need a finishing crew to come in! Seriously, the guys here answered the question... There is no harm in putting a carving down and picking it up later. A lot of times, you will have a different, even better, perspective of what the carving should be after you have your mind off of it for a while. Last night I picked up a shoebox of carvings that were unfinished or broken by my kid when he was a toddler. (He is now in college, to give a time frame). I repaired two of the carvings and resumed carving on another. I also looked at my first couple of carvings. I was surprisingly motivated by this exercise. Keep at it and do what makes you happy. Keep your other work in reach and pick it up every now and then. You will either finish it, or you wont! Either way, you have worked toward creating something... That is time better spent than watching Honey Boo Boo on TV! Good luck and keep carving!

Comment

I always have several projects in the pipeline. Some are in the planning stage, others ready for blanks, and some in various stages of carving and finishing. I usually don't just put one down for a long time, but occasionally I have, needing a little guidance or inspiration to move it along. A lot of my carvings take a week or more to finish with oil and wax, so I want to have at least one to carve while I'm finishing others.

I do some carvings in batches, such as my Christmas love spoons. I prepare all 15 blanks at the same time, then carve them during the year. Some carvings take a lot pf prep work; finding and seasoning the wood, preparing the wood for glue-ups, cutting the blanks, etc, so it helps to have other carvings to work on.

But, having said all that, this week I went back to an otter I carved last year and put aside because it just didn't look right. After a little clean-up, I started burning the fur yesterday and it looks fine. I just needed a different prespective, and time did that for me. Mike
                        Matthew

Comment

Right show some photos ,even if they are not completed. Maybe they are and you think it should be more??
                          I have three horse to finish painting and a base.I am working on two other small guys.

Comment

If I may offer a two bit piece of advice here: "Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself." (Max Ehrmann's inspirational poem - Desiderata)

My carving struggles in both artist and technical arenas -- and let's just forget about the painting aspects! But my carvings follow these two improvement areas. When I attempt to carve to mate two pieces for a seamless carving (see Lynn Doughty's crown and brim work on his cowboy hats) -- it's technical. When I carve to get a face out of block of wood -- it's artistic. I go from one to the other trying to learn and improve.

If I get upset or impatient, nothing works well. If I follow the advice above, I can improve and enjoy the experience.

I hope this helps you too.

LMiller

Comment

Same here. I currently have 3-5 projects in various stages. ONe I have been working on for at least two years. Its not that complicated but I lost interest and now only work on it in between other projects. Some I've gotten stumped on what to do next and I have set them aside waiting for inspiration.

A few years ago I took a personality test and it was amazing what they can tell you from the answers to a few questions. They told me that I am the type to have 20 things going at once and will seemingly finsih all of them in a spurt only to start twenty more. Thats just how I, and obviously quite a few others, are wired. It works for me and keeps me from getting bored so why fight it.

Comment

Working...
                              X