Hello.... Im new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello.... Im new

Ive been trying to post for a week now... so this is great!!!

I bought a flexcut 11 piece set and been playing alittle.... need to get a stab knife for chip carving.... anxious to try a caricature.

Glad to be here. Ive been reading and learning through some of your words of wisdom.

Re: Hello.... Im new

Welcome Maggie. This is a great place to learn and share a common interest. The people are great! I love it.

Comment

Hi and Welcome Maggie!

Comment

Hello Maggie!! Welcome to the board! This is a great place to learn about the art of woodcarving and woodburning. Don't be afraid to ask questions and show off your work. You'll love it here!!

Can't wait to see some of your carving!

Welcome!!
        Blake

Comment

Welcome aboard!

You already know what a great forum this is, and how great these folks are!

Comment

welcome maggie do not hesitate to ask any questions that you may have

happy carving

bart

Comment

Hi Maggie -- Welcome aboard.
              You have some tools. Do you have some wood?
              How can we help?

Comment

Hello Maggie Mae,
                A big HOWDY wave from Missouri. We're glad you're here and hope you'll enjoy our favorite hobby even more once you get to know us.

Do you have a carving club in your area? That's a great way to network and get help and ideas. Otherwise, we'll be glad to help. Just let us know how we can help you.

Donna T
                From Missouri

Comment

Boy you two ladies have some wonderful works of art ~ BEAUTIFUL......

Tell me, how did you both start out ~ very artistic!!!!!

I love santas, and think I am going to start with something along that line ~ work on the eyes and such ~ they look like so much fun ~

no carving clubs in my area that I know of. Unfortunately.... Ive been to the Woodcraft store many times ~ and nice to talk to people and hear their stories.

I just placed an order with Fox chapel and ordered a couple books ~ anxiously awaiting them~ Laughing ~ I guess I got the "Carving Fever" ~

Have a great day ~
                  MaggieMae1959

Comment

Maggie - I had never THOUGHT of wood carving until 1988 when a friend who knew I loved Santa showed me Ron Ransom's first Santa carving book . I KNEW I could do that. ( I didn't know I had to sharpen)
                    I had no lessons, no clubs, no Internet, nothing except Ron's book but I kept going. And I've never looked back.

Carving is a fever ... an addiction. Boy, is it FUN. Welcome to the club.

Comment

OMG..... your work is unbelieveable ~ I just looked at your pieces. Maybe you could send me some easy designs. I am going to try to find the book you mentioned.... see if its out there.

Comment

Nancy... is the one?

Is this the first Ron Ransom book? I love folk art.

Comment

Maggie, Ron Ramsom books are great to start with, I started with one of his books also. by the welcome aboard, you get tons of help from everyone here.

Comment

Maggie -- Very funny. That's not Ron Ransom's first book but it is the one I wrote the foreword for. LOL.
                            Ron's first book is SANTA CARVING, but all of his books offer the same simple help and instruction. Within the past few months he came out with another new one and they aren't published by Fox so we shouldn't be talking about them here ~~blush blush~~.

I'll be happy to send you any design you'd like to have. Let me know what you're interested in. Quickly !! I'll be leaving the 'net in a couple of weeks and it will be a bit before I'm back.

Comment

You're wonderful. A couple of santas would be great.

Leaving the Net? Not for long I hope ! I appreciate your help ~ you can email me anytime ~

I did a chip carving over the weekend ~ the letter B, with some vines ~ When it is finished ~ I will be sure to post it. Its pretty rough... I bought some knives this weekend, a pelican and skew at woodcraft....

We went to a train show ~ HUGE ~ it was 4 huge buildings ~ there was a gentleman there with basswood ~ big chunks for .50 cents a block... we bought it all ~ Met a fellow carver, works at a musuem in Maine, who was busy buying a couple pieces before us. Said he was working on a heron.... Was kinda nice to talk with him ~ He prefers stubi knives but uses many different ones. Really enjoyed talking with him ~ Also made a contact for the basswood.... so it was nice.

Hope you all are doing fine today ~

~hugs~ MaggieMae1959

Comment

Working...
                              X