X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake Lunsford
    replied
    Re: What Ive been doing

Attached is an excellent source for basswood. The price seems to be great and the service is excellent. They will take your order, send you the wood, and then send you and invoice. Very trustworthy! Great wood! You should give it a look!

www.heineckewood.com

Blake

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

sounds like a terrific buy!Motorcycle

Leave a comment:

• MaggieMae1959
    replied
    Gilly

I went to a train show this weekend, and Leevalley was there with their basswood...... mostly for making basswood buildings from what I saw. But I did buy all the basswood blocks that he had.... at .50 a piece for a 2-3 inch thick to 8 inches wide. It was a steal..... it looks good and was glad to get it ~ I thought it would be good for some santa's or caricatures. My hubby said he would cut them for me. So I will be in business from there.

BTW, my husband is a carpenter.... so he knows a bit about wood.

Leave a comment:

• Nancy-ID
    replied

I have to agree with Hi-Ho, that is very expensive basswood! I have had lots of basswood from Woodcraft and it was rough and warped. I bought some from the place that I will put a link to below, and it is beautiful and cheaper than Woodcraft. He is lightning fast with shipping too.

http://www.woodchipshop.com

Leave a comment:

• MaggieMae1959
    replied

I live in Connecticut. Ive been looking for a place to learn woodcarving...in this area, but have not found any to-date.

There has to be someone out there from CT? Anyone?????

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Thats very...........VERY expensive, you can get some very nice looking basswood from mryooper on here..it is clear, white, no knots, but a bit harder than what I am used to carving, but still nice basswood....I have in the past always bought my basswood from Don Wedll look up "the wood source on google ..........and Nancy Goff among others swear by Heinke (also on webb) for their wood. Dave

Leave a comment:

• GILLY
    replied

Maggie, I don't know where you're from. but this is where I get my basswood, hope it helps

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,250,43217

Leave a comment:

• MaggieMae1959
    started a topic What Ive been doing

What Ive been doing

Well, I have purchased the big flexcut package, and about 20 books in the past couple of weeks. I started a chip carving, the letter B with some ivy, but now, after reading and looking at Lori Irish's place, I have not got that down pat. Laughing.... lots to learn. After visiting her page, I printed it out... learning the different holding degree's will be interesting. I plan to play with a small pattern this weekend. The "B" has many twists and turns and for that reason, I had to re-think that design, and settle for something just with straight cuts.

I do not have a band saw as yet, so getting some sort of a roughout is difficult. I guess for now I will just be playing and learning some of the cuts.

I still need to find a place to purchase some basswood. I bought shawn cipa's folkart book and hope to try doing a santa face just to start learning some of the cuts and effects.

Have a wonderful day everyone ~

And thank you for the warm welcome!

MaggieMae1959
Working...
X