Delta 14"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 14"

Well, hubby was working Sat so I went to Woodcraft myself..... Laughing...they were having a 10% off sale on power equipment. I spent some time talking to one of the employees about the various bandsaws and he recommended the Delta 14" - so.......I ordered one. I still have a couple of concerns regarding the Delta.... hubby was shocked when he came home....... He was surprised !!! The Delta can be upgraded..a lift kit in the future....if needed....but he isnt completely sold on it.... Some of the other bandsaws wouldnt allow for an upgrade. He also noted that the rail for the Delta is $150.00 ~ so Im not sure what he wants to do at this point.

Re: Delta 14"

Sounds great.....I plan on getting a bandsaw at some point, but for now I'll keep using my coping saw and my carving axe.

Comment

The same with the Ridgid I have the fence and square were 150.00! Thats one of the reasons I recommend the Grizzly...the fence and square are included and the price is cheaper to start with! Now at least it was like that last time I looked..........things and prices change!Red Face
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I doubt you will need the lift kit or riser block unless you are going to be doing some really huge carvings. As to the rail, if you are referring to the fence, it is another seldom used accessory and you can make a better one than you can buy out of wood (maybe BobD will post the plans to one). Same with the "square." You have yourself a good saw. Congratulations. Do yourself a favor and get a couple of good blades; olson all pro or timberwolf are both excellent.

Comment

I bought a Delta 14" many years ago. I have no complaints as it is a very well built machine.

I've considered the riser block to be able to cut / resaw stock thicker than 6".

So far I have resisted the temptation with the thoughts of getting Jet's 20" model.

My dad has the riser block on his 14" Delta and has some problems with bowed cuts on the thicker stock.

I've told him that he needs more horse power to pull the blade thru the cut. If the blade speed slows while you're cutting, you are almost guaranteed a bowed cut.

Save the $150 bucks and make your own fence.
          If you are going to resaw on the bandsaw,you need to see which way the blade is drifting and then adjust the fence to this angle or you wont cut a straight line.

To find this amount of drift, take a board that's 4 square about 2' long and mark a straight line down the length of the board.
          Freehand saw down the line about a foot.
          Stop the saw and don't move the board!
          Notice the angle of the board. I'll bet it isn't parallel to the table edge or your blade. This angle is the blade drift and each blade has it's own drift.
          You can't adjust the stock fence and rail to compensate for this blade drift.
          This is where your home made fence out shines the stock one and you have 150 bucks to buy something else.

Have fun with your saw, just remember that the blade doesn't know the difference between wood and flesh!

Brian...

Comment

The fence on my ridgid will adjust on either end of the fence as it has two separate locks....however haven't had to use as I have been getting true enough cuts not to worry about it. Cool

Comment

OkieDokie, here is another stupid question. What is "resaw"? Also at the moment I have a 1/4" blade in my bandsaw, why does it flex so much when I try to cut a curve? TIA

Comment

resaw is cutting slabs out of a larger piece of wood, and your flex probably means the tension isn't right, or you could have a cheap blade....try a www.suffolkmachinery.com timberwolf blade, they are outstanding and a very fair price.

Comment

Nancy, if I read your question correctly, you are getting blade flex when cutting curves. This is probably due to one of two things (maybe both); Not enough tension on the blade or instead of just turning the stock, you are also putting side pressure on it. The latter is very easy to do and almost everybody has the problem and one time or another. Comes back to haunt you after you think your done with it too. Happens to scrollers also.

Comment

Resawing, is making thinner boards out of a thick one.

If you take a board and resaw it in half, then open it up like a book, you'll have what's called a bookmatched panel.

I use my Delta bandsaw to resaw boards into veneer for my marquetry projects. These will be sawn about 1/8" thick then drumsanded down to about a 1/16" thick.

Another method that I use when I have a piece to wide for the Delta is to resaw it by hand with a frame saw that I made for this purpose.

The pictures show me resawing a walnut crotch and the 2 panels ( middle and right) are the results. The left hand panel came from a plain sawn board that I had resawn using the same method.

About blade flexing - If your blade gets hot during a cut you will lose tension and will get a wavy or bowed cut.

Blade brand doesn't matter, although like anything else you get what you pay for.

Brian...

Comment

Congratulations on ordering your new bandsaw.....you'll love it. There is a great basic Bandsaw book at Fox Chapel, that may help you get the most from your new saw. Pick up an assortment of blades, for different uses and get use to changing them, in other words, get use to your saw. Cutting out blanks will be fun and resawing can be done with the proper blade, and tension.

Enjoy your new saw.

Bob
                      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Plain_Ol_Ed
                        Nancy, if I read your question correctly, you are getting blade flex when cutting curves. This is probably due to one of two things (maybe both); Not enough tension on the blade or instead of just turning the stock, you are also putting side pressure on it. The latter is very easy to do and almost everybody has the problem and one time or another. Comes back to haunt you after you think your done with it too. Happens to scrollers also.
                        Thanks all for explaining. I picked up this bandsaw used for $80 and it is really nice, an older Craftsman 12" of their more expensive line, it was kept like new, had new tires on it etc. He gave me several blades so I don't know the brand. I am going to get some timberwolf. Inside the saw is like a dial for adjusting tension for the different blade sizes, is it OK to tighten it more than where the dial says to???

Comment

I don't know anything about the adjustment that you asked about. But, I wanted to let you know that when you get the Timberwolf blades, to make sure you follow THEIR instructions on setting the tension. Very important to get the best performance from them. On my 14" Delta I don't end up at the same point that Delta says for that size blade. I go to wood shows and have seen the Timberwolfs demonstrated many times, it looks and sounds complicated but it works.
                          Bob

Comment

Nancy-Ca,
                            im not an athority by any means, but until a better answer comes,

and i may be over thinking your question.

but if your wanting to over tention your blade remember, light blade tention is not all that causes a hard to control blade,
                            on the bandsaw you have berings or cool blocks that control the blade side to side movement, above the table and below the table.

being yoy mentioned that this is an older saw in great condition, it may have not been used in a long time. so insure all guide berings spin smoothly and the blade is secure in the adjustment of the berings,, or cool blocks,

cool blocks do wear and blades are made of different thicknesses so this is a constant fight. to keep control of blades...

Comment

One simple test you can do for blade tensioning, ... with the saw turned off, open the top cover and as you tension the blade check it by pushing with one finger against the blade on the off side (left as you face it) about 6" down from the 9 o'clock position of the top wheel. Push outwards against the inside of the blade just hard enough to start your fingernail turning white, and if the spring/play/flex of the blade is about 1/2", then the blade is tight enough.

Bob
                              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Working...
                              X