Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions or Recommendations

Good Day Folks!

I tried to search the answer to my question, but for some reason the search is not working, so I apologize if my question has been asked before.

I was watching Gene Messer\'s video - Carving a Sea Captain out of a block of wood. I think I would like to try something like this. My questions are, 1) I would like some recommendations a knife to purchase, and 2) Recommend a glove to get started. I would like to spend under $50 if possible, has I am not sure if it\'s something I will enjoy. I do a few different types of woodworking, like Scroll Sawing, Toy Making, and other small scale stuff. I enjoy learning new things, and Gene\'s video really sparked my interest.

I thank you in advance for any advice, and I apologize if this has been asked before,

-Steven

Re: Suggestions or Recommendations

If you arent sure you want to do it let me tell you that having really good, sharp tools makes all the difference in your enjoyment. Have no said that, I use a cheap X-acto set for a lot of my small carvings. The blades are interchangeable and disposable. When one gets dull I just replace it. No sharpening. I also wear a cheap pair of gloves. They aren\'t impenetrable. But they do reduce accidental slices from my hand bloodying up my project.
    Hazel Strickland
    AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

If you have a Woodcraft in your area, they sell a knife for about $18.00 and a good carving glove for $22.00 I think. You should look into a V Tool also. Good Luck
      Larry

Comment

Steven, take a look at www.outwestwoodcarving.blogspot.com
        Lynn does most of his carving with a box cutter knife. It will let you know if you enjoy carving, then you can move into some better knives if you want. Lynn will surprise you. his videos are great.

have fun, Tom
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Steven:
          You don\'t tell us your location, which would help us greatly in getting you some added info. Go up to the top of this thread and click on Community. Then Clubs. In the next screen, select your state or province and click the little button next to Wood Carving. This will give you a list of carving clubs. Find one that is within driving distance, contact them, and go to one of their meetings. This is the best use of your time you can make as a new carver. Go to the meeting, ask them about tools, gloves, how to sharpen, etc. Most clubs will have members who actually let you try some of their knives so you can see which knife is comfortable in your hand and which isn\'t. Many clubs also offer you patterns to use, and some even have wood for sale.

Claude
          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
          My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
          My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
          My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Steve, I think you can already tell what a great site this is. Good info from all.

As Hazel said, a set x-acto\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s new compression basic set is about $30.oowhich has three handle and ten different shaped blades, not bad to start out.

Gloves, I probably should not say this but I seldom wear gloves but I have some Mechanix utility glove that I get at Lowes,

As Suggest to to Lynn web site, not only to see what can be with just one knife, but get an idea of what you will also probably want to get into painting & that comes from a guy who would rather carve than paint .

And do look for a club, there is so much you can learn just by rubbing elbows with some fellow chip makers.

I know that this message does not have any thing much new, I repeat them just to fortify that they are all good suggestions. I think I would start of with an x-acto set if it was me . . .JoeB
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Steve,

Some of what I say has been said before. Before making any investment in tools try to find a local carving group. In the group I carve with all have knives that we lend out to folks who are beginners. I have also found out that a lot of local caring groups have one or more members who make carving knives. I have also observed that many of these knives are superior to ones available at the stores in the Internet, are very inexpensive $12 to $16. I can also guarentee a better experience when you have a knife that is very sharp from the get go, and stays sharp longer than the cheap store bought ones. An additional benefit to finding a local group is one on one mentoring. Good luck!

Tom H
              http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tom-H and the others make great sugestions. I can tell you from experience that figuring out everything on your own is slow. You will get there, eventually, as I have.

So for me, I found the WCI forums an encyclopedia of resources. Even on all sorts of carving styles that I either didn\'t know about or don\'t want to get into.

Not everybody has to hold the carving in one hand and carve with the other. I wear gloves for carving \"in the round\" in my work shop and safety is the least of my concerns.
                Brian T

Comment

I really appreciate all the responses and suggestions. I am also going to seek-out some local clubs has suggested. My son has been enjoying creating walking sticks, and these suggested are very helpful for the both of us. I really enjoy spending time in the workshop with him, we both have a lot of fun.

Thank You,

-Steven

Comment

For a glove I find that ACE or TruValue hardware have a variety of shop gloves with leather in palms and fingers. I buy them small for my hand so they are not bulky and they last a long time

Comment

I guess I will add my .02...I have been carving since 1997. I have bought numerous knives over the years, and wished I would have found this board before I did.

If I was just starting out now, I would recommend a good knife from Paul Jones at Deepwood Ventures, or a Mike Shipley knife.

After all of these years, those knives are the blades I reach for the most when carving today.

I have learned that you really only do buy quality once, and you can\'t go wrong with either of these knife maker\'s blades!!!

Comment

Which [COLOR=\"#333333\"]Mike Shipley knife would you recommend? There are 5 choices that I see on the site. I was thinking that I want to try caricature type carving in basswood, has a start in the hobby, and some wood spirits, has these really interest me.

-Steven[/COLOR]

Comment

Of your choices=#229133, . . .JoeB
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

I have 2, but if I had to suggest one for a beginner, I would start with the 1 3/8\" knife.

Comment

Working...
                            X