X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric B
    replied
    DSCN8892.JPG
    Last edited by Eric B; 02-26-2021, 01:01 AM. Reason: Once again my recomendation for anyone who wants to figure out muscle and joint pain.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    ARGH!! Happened again last night. Scrubbing a pot. Held in my right hand, the scrub pad in my left.
    I felt the left hand start to go, could not hang onto the scrub pad at all. Profanity doesn't fix it.

So far, it seems to happen only when I'm actively doing something with my hands.

Leave a comment:

• tbox61
    replied
    Originally posted by Dileon View Post

I have the same issue have to beat the crap out of it, to make the muscles stop balling it up at times....they figure it is the joints not working like they should and really cause the muscles to act up like that....as my hands are not the only joints that do this .....the feet are doing it now also and also legs. Yea it hurts bad. I do have finger and joint locking but it not the same thing at all. Doc says 20-minute ice packs on them if they are bad. If it lasts for a while...the muscles may tear so if you can not get it to stop....ice is better than damage. Few incidents landed me in ER cause of the extreme pain...they always pack you in ice to stop the cramps. The best way to deal with it is to get it the minute they start to hurt... this is what I do now and it normally stops it.
    1. stopping any activity which is causing the hands to cramp.
    2. stretching muscles.
    3. massaging or rubbing the muscles.
    4. applying heat or cold.
    5. taking certain vitamins and supplements may be helpful,
    6. increasing fluid intake, not drinking enough water does cause cramps also......
    Ones I hate the most are ...ones that wake you up in the middle night yelling ouch...
    I heard something last week that takes care of cramps, and I didn't believe it myself until I tried it. I have been having fits with my right knee, and am probably looking at the 4th surgery on it coming up soon. If you watched any NFL football this season, you might have seen some players drinking pickle juice on the sidelines to alleviate cramps. Apparently, something introduced into your system that shocks your nerves, alleviate cramps almost immediately...including pickle juice or a teaspoon of mustard!

A couple of nights ago, I re-positioned myself while trying to get to sleep and a rather large cramp hit my left calf...coupled with the ache in my right knee, it was excruciating!

I hobbled to the kitchen, and took a teaspoon of mustard...in about 1 minute, the cramp was gone, and the ache in my knee faded. It allowed me to get to sleep.

From what I understand, the tartness of either the pickle juice or the mustard accomplishes this reset...sounds goofy, but you might try it!

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian T View Post
    I'm reading this carefully. I'm starting to get finger cramps in my left hand. Real serious pain.
    Last Saturday, out for supper. Left hand fingers cramped in directions that I have never seen before.
    Had to use my right hand to spread my left hand on the table and straighten out the fingers.
    Maybe no more than 5-7 minutes. Then the cramps left as fast as they came.
    I have the same issue have to beat the crap out of it, to make the muscles stop balling it up at times....they figure it is the joints not working like they should and really cause the muscles to act up like that....as my hands are not the only joints that do this .....the feet are doing it now also and also legs. Yea it hurts bad. I do have finger and joint locking but it not the same thing at all. Doc says 20-minute ice packs on them if they are bad. If it lasts for a while...the muscles may tear so if you can not get it to stop....ice is better than damage. Few incidents landed me in ER cause of the extreme pain...they always pack you in ice to stop the cramps. The best way to deal with it is to get it the minute they start to hurt... this is what I do now and it normally stops it.
    1. stopping any activity which is causing the hands to cramp.
    2. stretching muscles.
    3. massaging or rubbing the muscles.
    4. applying heat or cold.
    5. taking certain vitamins and supplements may be helpful,
    6. increasing fluid intake, not drinking enough water does cause cramps also......
    Ones I hate the most are ...ones that wake you up in the middle night yelling ouch...
    Last edited by Dileon; 02-22-2021, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    I think I'll stop complaining about my aches and pains. Reminds me of the old saying, "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet."

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    That's OK, I haven't felt anything in my feet for 5 years. Woke up one night, had been sleeping on my back. Looked down the bed for the cat. Instead, I see both my pinky feet sticking straight up. I'd kicked off the sheet and the blankets without a clue. Clueless is quite commonplace. I have kinda grown into it over the years.

That last hand episode, I was invited out for a birthday supper. My left hand fingers cramped up so badly that I had to stop eating and try to straighten out my hand. Painful like never before. Impressive.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by sappy View Post
    I had "trigger finger" in the ring finger of my left hand. Had a big knot in the palm of my hand and couldn't straighten my finger. When my doctor explained to me what the ligament was doing, basically shortening, I decided to try stretching it. Every day I just grabbed that finger and stretched it straight two or three times. Now, I have no problems. I am no doctor, and maybe my problem wasn't as serious as you all, so not recommending this to you, just saying what worked for me.
    Thanks , Sappy, That is just what I am doing plus trying to retrench all my fingers.. Ain't it fun. I put my hands as flat on the table and press hard... Jst sayin.
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• sappy
    replied
    I had "trigger finger" in the ring finger of my left hand. Had a big knot in the palm of my hand and couldn't straighten my finger. When my doctor explained to me what the ligament was doing, basically shortening, I decided to try stretching it. Every day I just grabbed that finger and stretched it straight two or three times. Now, I have no problems. I am no doctor, and maybe my problem wasn't as serious as you all, so not recommending this to you, just saying what worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Hey, Brian T, I went to a doc about my hands last year,, both pains and locking fingers, as he went through his systematic search, he says, "Now your provider says you have trigger finger". I said?? He asked, can you make the fingers do it for me? I told him they do it on their own I don't ask them to do it.. He says well,, I can't do anything for you then.. 450 for the tests he ran.. and this year I had carpal tunnel surgery on the right hand ,,and have stiff haha Trigger finger on the right hand. And the thumb and middle finger are both numb.. Also came across a gal that does serious therapy.. she told me to get a squeeze ball and work with that, plus ice water alternate with very warm water 15 minutes apart as often as you can . every day..
    Good luck to all with these darn hands and fingers. And I have lost feelings in my right thumb, trigger and middle finger.
    Cheers and keep happy all.
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Arthur, Thanks for the Laugh . Ha,Ha. Still Laughing . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    I'm reading this carefully. I'm starting to get finger cramps in my left hand. Real serious pain.
    Last Saturday, out for supper. Left hand fingers cramped in directions that I have never seen before.
    Had to use my right hand to spread my left hand on the table and straighten out the fingers.
    Maybe no more than 5-7 minutes. Then the cramps left as fast as they came.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    OH,, Snort!

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Patient: Doc, I get a pain in my eye whenever I drink coffee.

Doc: Take the spoon out of the cup.

This illustrates that we often overlook an underlying cause...plus I like this little joke!

Leave a comment:

• Eric B
    replied
    Hey folks,

Trigger point therapy is great i recommend anyone look it up. You need a book to reference and its going to take time to learn but i was forced to start doing it some years ago..

I agree with a lot of the above and surprised no one talks about this.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    I do a bit of metal engraving and find that a few hours on the tools is enough to knock out the nerve in the end of the first finger from the thumb. The remedy was to make thick leather finger stall. Problem went away.

as others suggest I would look at what I'm doing and try to deremine what brings the problem on, What are you doing witht he offending hand that might agravate the condition.

I have similar issue down to carpal tunnel issues and find a brace worn at night is a great help. If it is real bad I soak the hand in hot water for 10-15 minutes as this also seems to help loosen it all up again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X