Holding it in place

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding it in place

I know a lot of people have made holding blocks and such for their smaller projects. I was chip cutting on a round the other day and trying to hold it plus do a stop cut and chip. My wife brought out a piece of under layer rubber for carpets. That kind of product you would use to hold a small area rug in place. She suggested putting it on my bench, and walla, it works real good to grip the parts and help hold while I hold onto an ddo my cuttun and power sanding.. Others may use this , I just thought I would toss it in.
    C

Good idea and I have a little piece of wood that has a block below a corner and slips over the edge of the table. Two pieces of paint sticks along the top two edges and a small "corner" piece from another piece of paint paddle. Thin flexible cutting board in the center. The front and back pieces with the cut paint sticks give me a little thickness that the work can bump up against.

The cutting board piece gets replaced when it is sliced up and I just cut another one to size. Dollar store, two large sheets for a buck.

It seems to work fine for what I do...

They also make that anti-slide foam type material for shelves and RVs which should work also. I'm not familiar with the "under layer rubber" for carpets but have an idea based on your description...glad it works fine.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I went to Home Depot and in the flooring dept they have rubber mats with 1/4" honeycomb holes (like expanded metal grating) that were less then $10 for about a 4' x 4' section the thickness is like a 1/8" or less but cut to fit and works really well. Comes in different colors.

Comment

With the rubber carpet stuff and your rubber mats, won't the knives cut it?
        Bill

Comment

You can also fill a couple bags (size would depend on project) made from strong canvas or leather and fill with lead shot. (Sand could also work, but the shot bags stay put better due to weight.) They will self-shape to fit your rounds or odd shaped carvings. I use a piece of heavy suede leather on my lap when lap-carving and it holds pieces in place well. I would think it would be ideal for shot-bags.
          ....Dave
          Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
          www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

I use a piece of the waffle rubber mat under my bench hook to keep it from moving sideways...it helps quite a bit, but I still have to re-position the hook every now and then.
            Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
              With the rubber carpet stuff and your rubber mats, won't the knives cut it?
              So far so good, the wife does' twining and this material she makes to fit under those rugs. But as far as cutting.. Whilst carving, the product is pretty sturdy. and I haven't "cut " into it "YET!" Oh and Rose carve, my objects are pretty small and haven't gotten to the sand bag idea yet, so far my largest item is about 5" high and 3" round. , smallest is an elephant just done under 1 ".. Thanks for all your comments folks.
              Cheers

Comment

Thanks, NoDna and some good ideas here I hadn't thought about...
                Bill

Comment

I use several pieces of foam rubber cupboard mesh. "Non-skid" stuff for trailers.
                  Sure, it gets cut and nicked and dinged and saw dusty to the point where it does not stop movement.
                  Next kitchen sink of hot soapy water for pots & pans? Wash the mesh, rinse it off, wring it out and all set to go again lke new.

I want to try that carpet underlay for bigger carvings (5lbs & up) because strap clamps are tedious to adjust.
                  Brian T

Comment

I use the foam type shelf liner for an anti-slip surface. It's about an eight inch thick so I do cut it once in a while. When it gets cut up enough, I just toss it out and cut another piece off the roll. It's easy to get since I go to the food store once or twice a week and I can pick a roll up whenever I need it.

Bob L

Comment

I use a router mat. I have two types the waffle type surface and a solid mat. The solid mat is like what they use on bench dogs. I cut up one of the solid mats and glued it to things like my bench hook and other items so they will not slip. The waffle I use to work on because the saw dust does not stay on top. The find dust can affect holding surface of the solid mat when work on it.
                      Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Working...
                      X