Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a suggestion for a Freeware Pattern Maker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a suggestion for a Freeware Pattern Maker?

My 8-year old HP-PC Version 7 died last week! So I went out and bought a new HP-Pavillion and two days later it died,

Yesterday I finally got a fully operational H.P. Pavillion desktop up and running but it has .Version 10 and I'm pulling my hair out. I purchased Microsoft Office for Home use and then tried to load my old Microsoft Publisher, I discovered that I either have to have one or the other because each deletes the other when loaded.

The reason that I wanted publisher is that it was extremely easy to make scaled patterns on it. Between Irfanview and publisher I could come up with just about any pattern I needed.

I refuse to pay Microsoft and continuing fee for any of their programs. I bought the Home Office outright but they didn't offer Publisher in the same format. Over the last two days I found one on-line site where I can convert my existing Publisher files to PDF at no cost and I down loaded a desktop publishing program from Scribus. It's more complicated to use because it's set-up in points, not inches, However given that there are 72 points to an inch, if I measure the size wood that I plan to use in tenths of an inch it's easy to convert back to points.

To wrap this up what I'm looking for is any other Freeware programs that may be out there that allow scaled measurements for shapes and images (photos and clip art?

Again, I'm looking for freeware. Replacing the computer has already put me over budget. No more funds available for new knives this year!

That is ,sad, as I have found also in the microsoft game. As the saying is THEY gotcha. I lost so much with the changeovers that it kinda burns me. I had one last month ,free. then after about 5 times , the notice came up 25 a month.. you know the rest. Good luck Eddy.. Keep us posted.

Comment

Hi Eddy
      Have you checked out tucows.com for freeware?
      Bruce

Comment

Thanks for the info about "scribus", downloaded it will play with later, Eddy I use a screen capture program called "snag-it", it will allow resizing jpg. Again thanks for the info
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Open Office is free and a basically the same as Word...plus it has spreadsheets, databases, etc. My favorite. GNU.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I have also used Serif Page Plus, but a fee to buy. There are other PDF programs out there and Foxit Reader is one. The "Open Office" I mentioned earlier will allow PDF's also.
            Bill

Comment

Hi,
              If it's graphics - inkscape is free vector program great for designs. It uses .svg files.

Comment

GIMP is free but has a rather steep learning curve. BTW, the default of a program might be "points," but that is usually changeable in settings/preferences.
                Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Daroc View Post
                  Hi,
                  If it's graphics - inkscape is free vector program great for designs. It uses .svg files.
                  Thanks Daroc! I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                    GIMP is free but has a rather steep learning curve. BTW, the default of a program might be "points," but that is usually changeable in settings/preferences.
                    Woodburner,,,, If inches is an available option then it sure as heck is hidden, If anyone decides to use Scibus and finds that option I'd be happy to hear about it.

Comment

It was just a guess on my part but most programs are "versatile." I tried Scribus but my Open Office, Page Plus (paid) and Scrivener (paid) were a lot better. My writing Forums had a lot of people using LibreOffice but I didn't like it either. Guess we all have to adapt to the program that fits our brains the best.
                      Bill

Comment

Try this Eddy: http://forums.scribus.net/index.php?topic=223.0
                        Bill

Comment

I use LibreOffice. It's free, and does everything ms office does, looks just like it too. They have versions for MS, I however don't run MS.

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                            Woodburner.... You're a genius! Looking for that little icon is like looking for the fox in Woodcarving Illustrated. Thank you very , very, much!

Comment

Originally posted by sappy View Post
                              I use LibreOffice. It's free, and does everything ms office does, looks just like it too. They have versions for MS, I however don't run MS.
                              Thanks Sappy. I'll keep it in mind if my current subscription to MS Office ever goes on the blink!

Comment

Working...
                              X