"Bench Caddy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bench Caddy"

Let me preface this post by saying that this idea is not original. I was thumbing through some old copies of Woodcarving Illustrated a while back and ran across the concept. I'd already used the same technique to make a brush holder for the paint brushes that I use when not in use back when the article was first published. However, recently, with the warm weather upon us, I've been doing a lot of whittlin' at my work bench and in the process end up with half a dozen or more tools laying around on the bench. Then when I go to reach for one of them they're all jumbled up in a pile and I end up at the wrong end of a knife or gouge.

So the bottom line is that if the fella that submitted this idea is still on the forum he deserves the credit, not I. Please stand up and take a bow. And with that, I thank him greatly for his ingenuity.

My version of the bench caddy is constructed from 1-1/2" I.D. PVC, 1x4 oak, and metal push pins.

I simply cut the PVC into 4" lengths using my miter saw and glued them to a 12" long piece of oak with PPG brand of Liquid Nails. Then I hammered in six metal push pins. Obviously, I could have made it any length I wanted but to save bench top space I kept it to six slots.

I now have a safe place to store my tools while using them and even a place to lay the tools down for a second when I take a break without having them roll off the bench!

DSC09436.JPG

Hi Eddy , I think it was NOMAD , Terry , that made that set up for holding tools . I made one and it holds 23 Tools . Great Idea. Merle

Comment

Hi
      good idea. I also went looking on the internet to find a solution to the same problem. I found an idea in wood. I am afraid that the metal pins can damage the edge of tools so I prefered the wooden solution. On my carving desk you see two knifes on a wooden ruler with cut outs. I can place the ruler wherever I want on the desk. Simple to make. All the credits to the person who posted the idea on het Internet.
      Jos
      Belgium

Comment

In order to see the working end of each gouge/knife, would it help to cut a small window in the bottom edge of each tube?
        Arthur

Comment

Hi Arthur , that's what I did but doesn't help me any , I look down on the Tools and can't see in the Opening. Just remember where each tool is , comes easy after awhile . Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
            Hi Eddy , I think it was NOMAD , Terry , that made that set up for holding tools . I made one and it holds 23 Tools . Great Idea. Merle
            Merle... Thanks! If I had a caddy with 23 slots I'd have to move out of my work-space. There wouldn't be enough room for both it and me!

Comment

Originally posted by jderijcke View Post
              Hi
              good idea. I also went looking on the internet to find a solution to the same problem. I found an idea in wood. I am afraid that the metal pins can damage the edge of tools so I prefered the wooden solution. On my carving desk you see two knifes on a wooden ruler with cut outs. I can place the ruler wherever I want on the desk. Simple to make. All the credits to the person who posted the idea on het Internet.
              Nice work. I thought about wood but I don't have a real drill press where I can drill straight evenly space holes. The push pins on my project are not a hard metal and I don't plan on laying the blade itself against the pin. With that said, your concern is certainly valid. By the way, that's my work bench you're carving on!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                In order to see the working end of each gouge/knife, would it help to cut a small window in the bottom edge of each tube?
                Arthur... I'm sure that it would but since it's only six slots I don't think that I'll have trouble remembering what tools are in each slot. Besides, according to AARP, activities like carving are good for cognitive recognition and the good Lord knows that I need help there! Great idea for someone like Merle who has 23 slots in his caddy. For me, using his caddy would be like playing recognition cards. I'd spend more time looking for the tool that I want than I would carving.

Comment

Hi Arthur , that's what I did but doesn't help me any , I look down on the Tools and can't see in the Opening. Just remember where each tool is , comes easy after awhile . Merle
                  " What a memory! You're a better man than I am, Charlie Brown!"

Comment

Both the ideas are great and I can easily identify with a bunch of knives scattered on the work surface. Just looked and I have 7...
                    Bill
                    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Merel... I went digging for the original article on "Protecting Sharp Tools" in the Tips and Techniques Section of WCI, Summer 2010 issue. It was the "Top Tip" and was submitted by Bob Cain, Witchta, Kan. I'm not sure what NOMADS real name is so I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks.

Comment

Great idea!

Claude
                        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

Nice work. I thought about wood but I don't have a real drill press where I can drill straight evenly space holes.
                          I wasn't really talking about the toolholders in the back. I made those without a drillpress by the way (build a corner with LEGO and put the drillbit in the corner : straight hole, reposition blocks and drill again). Even with those holders my workbench is coverd with knifes and to avoid damage by the edges I use that ruler. So the knifes can stay close enough and when I clean the desk after a carving session I put them back in the holders in the back.

Jos
                          Belgium

Comment

Originally posted by jderijcke View Post

I wasn't really talking about the toolholders in the back. I made those without a drillpress by the way (build a corner with LEGO and put the drillbit in the corner : straight hole, reposition blocks and drill again). Even with those holders my workbench is coverd with knifes and to avoid damage by the edges I use that ruler. So the knifes can stay close enough and when I clean the desk after a carving session I put them back in the holders in the back.
                            Now I see what you're referring to. Also a great idea.

Comment

I wanted to combined palm tools and my knives in one space with easy access to both. This is the bench caddy I came up with.

IMG_1047 (2).jpg
                              Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Working...
                              X