Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Bench Caddy"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Randy View Post
    I wanted to combined palm tools and my knives in one space with easy access to both. This is the bench caddy I came up with.

    IMG_1047 (2).jpg
    Randy... That would be perfect for me if I just had more work and storage space. Nice job!

    Comment


    • #17
      Eddy---I do not know if you have seen this you tube. I have thought of using the way the palm tools and knives are stored in a wall unit that would open and close to save surface space on the bench top. I just have been too lazy to do it. I do not know if it would work for you. It does make a nice setup.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9goYA5cd2U
      Last edited by Randy; 07-04-2019, 05:25 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Randy View Post
        Eddy---I do not know if you have seen this you tube. I have thought of using the way the palm tools and knives are stored in a wall unit that would open and close to save surface space on the bench top. I just have been too lazy to do it. I do not know if it would work for you. It does make a nice setup.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9goYA5cd2U
        Randy... That certainly is one fine tool box. I started out with a wood tool box myself many years ago, purchased at the Maryville, TN Hooby Lobby but like his fishing tackle box it soon became too small for my needs. I'm sad to say that the biggest limitation to my imagination is weight. I'd need a six-wheeler to haul his box around. My size criteria now is that it has to be able to fit on my rolling walker if I head out somewhere like a club carving session. Otherwise my tools stay in or on my work bench. Thanks for the post!

        Comment


        • #19
          Eddy I miss understood. I also need a small travel kit for club meetings and trips. I do not know if this is what you are looking for. I got the box at Harbor Freight. It is 11 ½” long 7 ½ “wide and 4 ½” deep. I am in the process of setting it up. you can see the layout I think I am going with.
          B6.jpgB2.jpgB1.jpg

          Comment


          • #20
            [QUOTE=Randy;n1159190]Eddy I miss understood. I also need a small travel kit for club meetings and trips. I do not know if this is what you are looking for. I got the box at Harbor Freight. It is 11 ½” long 7 ½ “wide and 4 ½” deep. I am in the process of setting it up. you can see the layout I think I am going with.

            Randy... I like it, especially your idea for compartmentalizing the case. I purchased one of these from Harbor Freight years ago when I first got into carving. It eventually got too small to hold "everything I thought I needed" so I re-purposed it as a case for my water colors and associated art supplies. I eventually passed it on to a grand-daughter who is three times the artist that I ever was.

            Comment


            • #21
              Built this caddy so it fits in a soft side tool bag with room for the tool roll to sit behind it.




              C08068E3-CE4D-4C25-8667-35E4C7788383.jpeg
              Ed
              Living in a pile of chips.
              https://m.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

              Comment


              • #22
                Everyone puts my approach to shame. Nice one Ed and very organized.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

                http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                Comment


                • #23
                  i like that and need one the paper bag i put my tools in is getting a bit worn

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I bought a leather covered box in a garage sale. Kind of peeling off in places.
                    Might have been a musical instrument case 50+ years ago.
                    I hope to call it a "day-box" for a few tools, apron, sharpening stuff and a couple of projects to hack at.
                    Brian T

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by rickm View Post
                      i like that and need one the paper bag i put my tools in is getting a bit worn
                      Rick... If you're really in a jam I'm sure that I and some of the other forum members would be happy to send our used grocery sacks to you!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                        I bought a leather covered box in a garage sale. Kind of peeling off in places.
                        Might have been a musical instrument case 50+ years ago.
                        I hope to call it a "day-box" for a few tools, apron, sharpening stuff and a couple of projects to hack at.
                        Sounds great. Some of the most useful items we use are recycled and re-purposed.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          First off, thank you all for responding to this post. Secondly, all of your chatter and ideas got me to thinking. After pondering as to what I could do to make my caddy more useful it finally dawned on me that I could just add another row of PVC slots. I should have thought of this in the very beginning and if I had I could have added even more but my old brain my be getting slow and sluggish. I must be getting old and have it filled up with too much extraneous trash. Anyway, I down sized the pipe and nestled them against the original pieces. I used 5-minute epoxy to glue them both to the existing slots and base. I probably could get away with adding one additional row but the entire purpose of this thing was to a have a ready and safe place to store the tools that I'm using at any one minute. So the question becomes, how in the world can I use more than eleven knives and tools at a time?
                          DSC09551.JPG

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            E-S: do you complete one carving at a time or do you have several "on the go" at the same time?
                            I wonder how far you could get with a single knife before you needed another. Half a day?

                            I used to pack my tools with a "just in case" attitude. Needed maybe 10%.
                            Shifting to the tools of the Pacific Northwest (crooked knife, adze & straight knife) cured me of that.
                            Brian T

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                              E-S: do you complete one carving at a time or do you have several "on the go" at the same time?
                              I wonder how far you could get with a single knife before you needed another. Half a day?

                              I used to pack my tools with a "just in case" attitude. Needed maybe 10%.
                              Shifting to the tools of the Pacific Northwest (crooked knife, adze & straight knife) cured me of that.
                              I generally have 2 or three whittlin's going at the same time. It's my OCD or PTSD or JLBC (Just Little' Bit Cazy!) or something..... And if I was honest Like most carvers are (YUCK! YUCK!) I'd swear that I only need one knife!

                              For what I do I would be satisfied with four knives, a gouge, and a V-tool, if the truth be known. Like you the rest is all excess.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Very nice Eddy, looks great.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X