Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glue up Fixing and Learning

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Glue up Fixing and Learning

    I’ve spent sometime the last few days repairing gaps in my current project caused by my first attempt at a glue up. Also trying a different glueing process to avoid this happening in the future.

    The repair job. Is not as good as I would have liked but the voids are filled and will just have to see how it ends up when finished.
    4585CA55-E78C-4ABC-8CF1-A60437EC4753.jpeg Then on to the new glue process I tried. The first test was done gluing rough sawn end grain. The first photo shows how rough these surfaces were. The second one shows the joint after cutting with gouge and lightly sanding. The third shows the same joint sanded smooth. The wood is aspen.

    84CDDDAC-D61A-4F8B-9F3C-78E0EAD241F1.jpeg4C3BACB2-5A36-49E8-94C0-7C7555D71ECE.jpeg7FC260C6-E684-4816-82BF-E283CBD1B6F3.jpeg
    The next test was done on side grain. The gluing surfaces are from a nice clean split. The piece was cut and flipped back on itself. The photos are in the same order as above.
    681CF5C9-9208-45F0-936C-2A89A266A951.jpegE18A2CB7-C817-484C-A6E1-0C2567C231E7.jpeg47625FF8-CBE5-4FD5-AE7D-A5CF3D493605.jpeg These gluings where completed using the following process. 1. Wet the surface with distilled water blot with paper towel. 2. Thin coat Elmers WoodGlue Max Stainable on both surfaces. 3. Thin coat Polyurethane glue on one surface. 4. Clamp
    6362D058-579F-4244-A42D-6DBA28DF95E6.jpeg
    Attached Files
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

  • #2
    Ed, that looks real great, one question. Did you glue and sand the wood with semi wet glue? When working as a finish wood worker, in Colo. my Dad taught me, when having a crack or space that needed filled and could not be replaced, he would first mix, fines( of the same wood) with wood glue, press in and when it started to seal a light sanding in, then when the open area was clean and drying well with the fines of the sanding and then it would fill it's self. It all came out very nice. And I still do that today. Chuck
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

    https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Chuck , I've done that for years , but didn't sand it when started to set . Sounds interesting , will give it a try . Thanks . Merle

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Ed , do you put the Poly U on Wet Glue and what is the reason for Poly U ? Does it need to be Elmer's Glue ? That also sounds Interesting . Thanks for posting . Merle

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
          Ed, that looks real great, one question. Did you glue and sand the wood with semi wet glue? When working as a finish wood worker, in Colo. my Dad taught me, when having a crack or space that needed filled and could not be replaced, he would first mix, fines( of the same wood) with wood glue, press in and when it started to seal a light sanding in, then when the open area was clean and drying well with the fines of the sanding and then it would fill it's self. It all came out very nice. And I still do that today. Chuck
          I used an small stiff bristled artist brush to push glue into the cracks. Put fines I had gathered from earlier sanding on the areas and pressed them in. Let it dry overnight before sanding.

          Wondering about the Colo connection since that’s where I spent the first 50 years of my life.
          Ed
          Living in a pile of chips.
          https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
            Hi Ed , do you put the Poly U on Wet Glue and what is the reason for Poly U ? Does it need to be Elmer's Glue ? That also sounds Interesting . Thanks for posting . Merle
            The Elmer’s glue is stainable it contains really fine sawdust. It is my favorite glue. Since I don’t paint my carvings having a glue that excepts finish is important. I’ve used it to glue fins on carved fish and after finishing you wouldn’t notice the glue line unless your really look hard for it.

            The polyurethane is titebond polyurethane glue, since it expands when it reacts with the wet glue it filled the voids in these joints.

            Adding finish will be my next step in testing this process.
            Ed
            Living in a pile of chips.
            https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

            Comment


            • #7
              Find myself wondering if you could just mix a little of the ploy glue with the wood glue and apply? Hmmm.
              Ed
              Living in a pile of chips.
              https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
                Find myself wondering if you could just mix a little of the ploy glue with the wood glue and apply? Hmmm.
                Sounds like you've got another experiment coming up! Interesting post.
                Mike

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ed, I lived in Colo Spgs, and Denver for the first 17 years and Dad built homes from the springs to Lamar to Loveland. All over then I was fortunate to join the AF and come to Oregon.. Been here for 60+ And I do have to post some of my small stuff. Darn.????
                  Chuck
                  Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

                  https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
                    Ed, I lived in Colo Spgs, and Denver for the first 17 years and Dad built homes from the springs to Lamar to Loveland. All over then I was fortunate to join the AF and come to Oregon.. Been here for 60+ And I do have to post some of my small stuff. Darn.????
                    Oregon is pretty country.

                    Sorry, Don’t understand your reference to posting small stuff.
                    Ed
                    Living in a pile of chips.
                    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My small stuff Ed and the rest. And yepper, Oregon is beautiful.


                      mewe.com/i/charlesnicodemus My small stuff, I very rarely do anything over 5 inches,,long ,, high.
                      Chuck
                      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

                      https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Do you guys find that the stainable glue and sanding dust mix stain like the surrounding wood? That would really surprise me!
                        Arthur

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                          Do you guys find that the stainable glue and sanding dust mix stain like the surrounding wood? That would really surprise me!
                          These walleye fins were attached using stainable glue over dressed with sawdust and sanded down. Basswood stained and finished with poly. You be the judge but I’m happy with the results. The trout is butternut same glue and sawdust process no stain just gloss poly.

                          Just cause someone’s going question the strength of the glue. Yes the wood will break before glue joint in my experience.

                          By the way the walleye pectoral fin is not inserted it’s a butt joint that was clamped using a rubber band.

                          DA3174F4-6DCB-484F-B117-5D7970A0DC48.jpeg 8563A629-7BE2-4A58-A5C2-CF3B91BCCB4F.jpeg
                          868D150E-F8F7-401A-A149-A33376C18EE0.jpeg
                          Last edited by Nebraska; 12-11-2019, 10:52 AM.
                          Ed
                          Living in a pile of chips.
                          https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ed, I thank you for all the good info, Amazon thanks you for the new orders
                            . . .JoeB

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nebraska View Post

                              I used an small stiff bristled artist brush to push glue into the cracks. Put fines I had gathered from earlier sanding on the areas and pressed them in. Let it dry overnight before sanding.

                              Wondering about the Colo connection since that’s where I spent the first 50 years of my life.
                              So Ed, to make sure I understand: You press the Elmer's into the void, then top it with the fines, so the surface to be stained consists mainly of the compressed fines?
                              Arthur

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X