Glue up Fixing and Learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

So Ed, to make sure I understand: You press the Elmer's into the void, then top it with the fines, so the surface to be stained consists mainly of the compressed fines?
    Arthur,

Two different discussions have kind of blended here. First was the repair of the gaps created by my poor attempt at a glue up. Those I repaired by working glue into the void, topping with fines and then pressing them in. Let dry then sand off excess.

Then there is gluing on things like the fins. When attaching fins, say for example a pectoral fin. I leave a tip to be inserted into the body. Then gouge out a matching hole in the body. Apply some glue and put them together. Usually a little glue will come out as the pieces are fit up. I will scrap off some if it excessive. But there is always that little bit that if you try to wipe away just seals the wood and blocks the stain. So instead I just pack fines into the exposed stainable glue let it dry and then sand off excess before finishing.

Hope this makes since. If not please ask any questions you have.

Ed
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Ed. I'll certainly keep that in mind for future use.
      Arthur

Comment

I've done glue-ups, making handles for crooked knife blades. Materials are 1/8" x 1" rosewood and mahogany strips 12" long. The plan was to make 1" x 1" x 12" blanks to be planed down to 7/8" and shaped. Piece of steel railroad track for clamp.
        White carpenter's glue used generously.
        I tried to get glue ups to be quite "far from the line" so there would be at least 1/8" wood thickness to take off as well as the dried blobs of glue from the squeeze-out.
        Ed: do you do any that way?

I like the concept of packing fines into a glue line to hide the work. I have nothing smaller than wood chips.
        If I used a hand saw and made a pile of material, is that about the right size?

I'm planning to use mortise and tennon joints to fit the fin-legs and tail into a large sea turtle body.
        I don't think that my crude approximation with be visible.
        Brian T

Comment

For glue-ups I use dental tools for the glue, scrape offs and poking extra-fine sawdust into cracks and holes ...they are stainless very cheap on Amazon and easy to clean up ...whereas a brush normally goes into the trash can. I use CA ...easier to sand down than wood glue. I collect sawdust from major sanding jobs of various colors and keep in glass food jars for later on projects of various colors and woods that I use.

Comment

Working...
          X