My carving glove and thumb guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My carving glove and thumb guard

I have tried several carving gloves over the last six or seven years. All of them have been effective but each had drawbacks. I am not saying the following is a perfect solution, but it is the one I like best so far.

Carving Glove.jpg

As you can see, it is actually two gloves. The inner glove is not kevlar but it is billed as level 5 cut resistance which is allegedly a bit better than kevlar. The nice thing about it is it is less bulky than kevlar yarn and my hand does not sweat while wearing it. I got it on Amazon. The outer glove is just a standard soft leather work glove available just about anywhere. I like it because it is nice and flexible and it provides a better grip than the plain cut resistant glove liner, even though the liner glove has those little dots. It also provides a bit more padding, which is good for the kind of stuff I whittle (lots of sharp corners and very hard hardwoods).

Another tip: I also use a thumb guard. It is a finger cut from one of my worn out kevlar gloves. I wrapped a bit of vet-wrap around the base of it to provide a stretchy fit to keep it from slipping off my thumb and to prevent unravelling. I have enough old glove fingers to last me a lot longer than my expected lifespan.

Thumbie.jpg

You may well have other solutions that you like better, but the important thing to my mind is protect your hands somehow.
    HonketyHank toot toot

Good advice Hank, I like the level 5 with a rubber palm for holding onto my carvings.
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I always like to wear gloves for warmth, vibration and hand grime.
      Never very concerned with safety. Depends so much on carving styles.
      STORY C.JPG
      The pole blank is 5" x 5" x 64" western red cedar.
      Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
        I always like to wear gloves for warmth, vibration and hand grime.
        Never very concerned with safety. Depends so much on carving styles.
        STORY C.JPG
        The pole blank is 5" x 5" x 64" western red cedar.
        Absolutely
        Ed
        Living in a pile of chips.
        https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
        https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Nice idea and approach, Hank. I use the regular carving glove and a leather thumb guard. Whatever approach works is better than nothing. I've had some bad cuts and learned my lesson the hard way.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Great idea! I just ordered one of The Carving Glove Guy's gloves...got great service, and when my glove arrived, he threw in 2 leather faced thumb guards at no charge!

Comment

Yay, Hank! The thumbguard cut from a glove, great idea...now I have a use for the righthand glove that just sits in a drawer!
              Arthur

Comment

Working...
              X