Using THIN CA Glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using THIN CA Glue

I have always wondered why anyone would want Thin CA Glue when it runs just about Up Hill . This may be common knowledge but for someone like me I just realized ways to use it . On Gluing a Broken Piece you can always fit the Pieces together by holding them without Glue , but when you put Glue on the Pieces are hard to Match . This takes 2 People but well worth it . Hold the Pieces together without Glue then have someone put a Drop of Thin CA Glue on the Crack , just a Drop . After a few Seconds you can turn it around and Apply Glue to the other Sides . Works Great .
    Another use is , we all mix Saw Dust with Glue to fill Holes . I have found if you take the Sawdust and PACK it into the Hole or the Repair Area Dry , and then put CA on Drop at a Time , it Soaks in Fast and Dries Quick and NO MESS .
    I used this Method also when using Wooden Dowels . After they are located where I want them I put on the Thin CA and they are set in their exact place .
    As I said before this might be Common Knowledge but I thought it was worth Mentioning , might help Someone , it sure helped me . Merle

Interesting.... I quit using the thin glue long ago when they came out with the gel. But I've never used it to fill holes or set dowels.

Comment

My main reason for having thin CA is it used to strengthen thin pieces that break easily, a good coat will often make a very breakable piece a lot stronger. Also, use it to fill fine holes plus use the method Merle uses. Thin CA has lots of usages..... I do buy thin, medium, and thick CA for various usages.

Comment

H Eddy, Filling Holes is what got me started . Pack the Hole with Fine Saw Dust then add the Thin CA , Beautiful Job . Merle

Comment

Hi Di , That saying " Never to Old to Learn " applies to me here . It works so well I want to Break something so I can Glue it . Ha,Ha. I'll try to Remember about making thin Pieces stronger using Thin CA . This sure is a Learning day for me , it's wearing me out . Might need to take a Nap . Thanks Di for your Tip ......................Merle

Comment

Never used it and almost all my gluing is done with Titebond wood glue.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Along with reinforcing thin areas I use the thin CA glue as a finish when making pens. I have also used it as a finish on small wooden jewelry and carvings I have made for my wife. It basicly gives it a hard plastic finish. There are a number of youtubes on it. The smell is the worst part of doing this. You need a well ventilated area. I do it with a open window and a fan behind me to blow it out. It gives a very hard, durable and shinny finish. Oils or moisture from your hands or body well not affect the finnish and you just spread on some ca if it get scrached up. For the most part it would make a extensive finsh on large projects but it dose not take many coats it is a very quick prosses. Some use the spray hardner on it but it drys fast you can do 4 or 5 coats in 10 minutes on a small piece and it is usable or wearable 15. I apply it with small srtips of a blue shop towel or regular paper towel. If needed you can use the fine sanding pads to smooth it out or most of the time I just buff it out a little bit with a buffing wheel on my foredom.
              Last edited by Randy; 11-16-2020, 09:04 AM.
              We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

It also works good on small cuts and nicks on my hands. I'm a locksmith by trade and I get a lot of nicks and scrapes on my hands on the job. I have been using it for years instead of bandaids. Yes it burns some when I put it on a cut but I have found it isn't that bad and it sure does a good job of sealing the cut. It seems like it helps make it heal quicker.

Comment

Does the drying time with CA glue get longer with the age of the CA being used? I've been using a bottle of Gorilla gel for a while and it seems to be taking a lot longer to grab than it should.
                  Arthur

Comment

Working...
                  X