Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    I hear where you guys are all coming from on this one. Took 8 days off to landscape the patio area and re-lay the path down the side of the house.

Got back into it and now the carpel tunnel thing is really playing up and the left hand keeps going numb when it isn't aching a lot.

Not to be beaten I will swing my focus to pyrography for a few days to rest up the left one a bit. Where there is a will there is a way to at least be doing something. hehe.

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied
    JoePaul, taking a break from a piece is essential to keep yourself calm and in the groove. I never let myself get frustrated, I switch to something else for a while and then go back and approach the task with fresh eyes, often works out well, ..... but not always. If you aren't having fun, you are doing it wrong.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• papasar
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
    Hax, the only good thing about getting old is that you no longer have to worry about dying young.
    Think of the alternative.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Hax, the only good thing about getting old is that you no longer have to worry about dying young.

Leave a comment:

• Hax
    replied
    Comming from a 28 year old, you guys are scaring the crap out of me!

Leave a comment:

• honketyhank
    replied
    I know I was going to agree with you guys, but I forgot what it was that you were saying ...
    Last edited by honketyhank; 03-18-2021, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BobW
    replied
    Brian

I no longer have any stairs. When working near floor level, getting down is hard, but getting back up is altogether a different kind of hard. See what you have to look forward too when you get old. A couple of days in the upper seventies put an end to anything indoors for a while, but tomorrow is forecast thunderstorms. I plan to carve, but we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
    Know what you mean, Joe. I haven't put blade to wood for about ten days now...just when I got through bosting in my current carving and starting on the fun part, too! My motivation evaporated, so I'm getting all the spring yard renovations and prep work done now...replaced a board fence, had some 200 sq ft excess concrete removed from the patio area, shoveled in two cubic yards of fill, sodded 220 sq ft square feet, planted five shrubs, five rose bushes, and a few other odds and ends.

My back is now telling me (I'm getting too old for this stuff) to get on with the carving, but I haven't suffered enough yet, so it sits until it calls me.
    Arthur ,,You are good, my wife is the landscaper here. I am very lucky in someway. After messing up my back years ago, she took over and a better job at that. Now any heavy stuff we have to hire it out. but get back to the carving, it is kinda hard trying to figure out what's next..
    Chuck/No Dna

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Joe, so good to learn that things have taken a turn for the better! Feel free to "vent" whenever the need arises!

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    There are mornings when I think that 75 year old problems will take another 75 years to fix.
    Been working on standing up straight, getting my left leg to straighten out at the knee.
    Progress, this morning. Flexing both ankles is next.

The really big deal is to negotiate the stairs down to the shop and make a couple hours of cedar chips. Gravity has become my enemy. Going back upstairs is a lot of work.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Well, I went right back to my caving, it has always been my solitute since retiring. My wife was scheduled for back surgery last Tue. but fell and cracked the left femur, in the area that a plate in from a hip replacement a couple of years ago. They felt the plate would hold the bone in place and sent her home, with the advice that it would take 8 weeks to heal.

Well, she is a tough old hen and getting along so-so with a walker, but it all went backward and for a couple of days she could get out of the recliner chair, but now things seem to be better for her; therefore, better for me.

Pardon me for venting,

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Time outs are part of the game for me. When there is dout or I am just being tired. I set it down and take that brake. As pallin said it can be a few minutes to a matter of days. Its good to give our self that option. For me the problems with a project come when I push it.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Ennui - (pronounced "On-wee") We're all experiencing it, the aimless drifting from task to task, looking for that sense of accomplishment or completion we once felt.
    We've gotten our vaccine shots. We're beginning to talk about traveling - - somewhere - - anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    I've often heard carvers give the advice "to not be afraid of taking off more"..... Then there's the counter Theorem that states, "you can always take if off but you can never put it back." You're ****ed if you do and ****ed if you don't!

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Know what you mean, Joe. I haven't put blade to wood for about ten days now...just when I got through bosting in my current carving and starting on the fun part, too! My motivation evaporated, so I'm getting all the spring yard renovations and prep work done now...replaced a board fence, had some 200 sq ft excess concrete removed from the patio area, shoveled in two cubic yards of fill, sodded 220 sq ft square feet, planted five shrubs, five rose bushes, and a few other odds and ends.

My back is now telling me (I'm getting too old for this stuff) to get on with the carving, but I haven't suffered enough yet, so it sits until it calls me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X