Doll Carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doll Carving

Just an FYI for carvers who sell their items. The market is pretty insane right now for Hitty dolls. Look up "wooden Hitty dolls" on eBay, etsy, or pinterest. Some carve more detailed dolls, but the more simply carved ones sell for nearly as much! The doll is 6 l/4" tall, arms and legs pegged into body, sealed and then painted. There are tons of women in Hitty clubs and collecting the dolls. Just thought someone could use a sellable item idea. If I could, I would. Can't due to injury.
    Last edited by llc1952; 04-20-2022, 09:47 PM.

Never heard of them, but online resources explained a lot. here is 1 link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitty,..._Hundred_Years
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Just the other day, one of the premier doll collecting magazines featured Hitty on their cover and with a large article inside about Hitty and her popularity. She is such a simple, little doll. And to be honest, her arms and legs do not even have to be pegged to bring big prices. They can be attached with wire or elastic. I hope more carvers jump on this. Also, they do not have to be dressed, but it does add to their appeal. Eyes are only painted, not carved. Nose is just a little knob--and lips are just faintly carved. I've added a couple of photos to give you an example. As long as the doll is all wood and no taller than 6 l/4", it will absolutely sell. An entire subset of little dolls being sold as "friends of Hitty" are also selling like hotcakes.
      Last edited by llc1952; 04-23-2022, 12:42 PM. Reason: added photos

Comment

This is an example of a pre-carved Hitty kit to show you how simple they are. The face pic is a good example of a more simply, but beautifully done, Hitty.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Last edited by llc1952; 04-23-2022, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Better carve 'n' sell 'em while they're hot...remember what happened with the market for Beanie Babies!
          Arthur

Comment

One of the first few things I tried carving as a young girl, age about 12 or 13, was a wooden Hitty doll. 50 something years ago. My dad cut the blanks for me. I never finished it though.
            Thank you for the info.
            The Polish wooden dolls are pretty similar.
            My ETSY shop:
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Even those Polish wooden dolls are selling at higher prices--for the most part. They normally have no tiny nose or mouth definition--just painted on features. They have picked up in popularity due to the lack of affordable Hitty dolls for sale. Time to finish your Hitty!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                Better carve 'n' sell 'em while they're hot...remember what happened with the market for Beanie Babies!
                Only Raikes ever produced wooden Hitty dolls, and stopped production early. Since they are hand carved, there are just not many of them on the market now. Hitty fans buy them for the play factor instead of the "collectible" factor.

Comment

Working...
                X