Birds Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds Feet

Am trying to make birds feet, and I can "buy them" but ... Have looked on the tube and all crafty small ideas. I have 18 ga wire and some smaller copper. About the size of Robins.
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Add a soldering iron and solder, shape with a small file or Dremel add some paint and you're set. It has work for me. But now I order from Hummul Carving.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
      Add a soldering iron and solder, shape with a small file or Dremel add some paint and you're set. It has work for me. But now I order from Hummul Carving.
      Thanks Randy , My shakes and a soldering iron Hmmul sounds oky. I checkem out.
      Chuck.
      Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
        Am trying to make birds feet, and I can "buy them" but ... Have looked on the tube and all crafty small ideas. I have 18 ga wire and some smaller copper. About the size of Robins.
        I have always made the legs and feet for the birds I've done. I size and shape the back and inside toes from one piece of wire, size and shape the middle and outside toes from another piece, size and shape the legs, solder a wire on the back of the leg (from the rear toe to the ankle) for a tendon, then solder the toes to the legs.

I then grind details on the legs, if desired, and then cover the toes with epoxy putty. To finish, I use a small stump cutter to shape and add details.

Note: I have the bird mostly carved and the base/mount all but finished before making the legs. This allows me to adjust the legs and feet to the desired position prior to soldering and coating.

Note 2: If I do not have a set of cast feet for the bird I'm carving, I order a set and use them as reference for measurements and details.

There is nothing wrong with using the cast legs/feet for a finished carving (unless you're going to enter them in a show that doesn't allow them). The issue with them is forming them to a desired shape if you're doing anything but a traditional stance. Bending them is risky, as they can break easily. Some people buy just the feet and use a copper wire for the legs.... much easier to pose.

Lori Corbett has a good tutorial in her book "Carving Award Winning Song Birds".

(Pics show feet and Chickadee they were put on.)
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Last edited by dave.keele; 06-17-2022, 07:23 AM.
        ....Dave
        Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
        www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Tried to edit previous post and add pic. Didn't like that.... so here's pic:
          L 2.jpg
          ....Dave
          Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
          www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by dave.keele View Post
            Tried to edit previous post and add pic. Didn't like that.... so here's pic:
            L 2.jpg
            Thanks Dave.Keele, Great lil Bird , But as you stated about soldering, I have tremors, and I just soldered the hecck out of the work table and almost my fingers, tried holding in my small vice HAAAa. .
            Think I'll order some feets for my song birds.
            Cheers Chuck
            Chuck

Comment

Working...
            X