How I get rid of the fuzzies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I get rid of the fuzzies

While carving I use 80, 120 & 180 grit sandpaper to help shape and keep the facets down. But when I finish with most of the knife work, I use wheel mops for buffing and polishing. At first, I bought them on the Internet, but now I build my own, using3M Scotch Brite Pads. The white, gray, maroon & tan are my go-to pads.

I've shown how I build them & some use.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 11 photos.
    Last edited by Claude; 07-10-2022, 11:26 PM. Reason: typo
    . . .JoeB

Thanks, I will try this.

Comment

Thanks Joe, presently I use a Sand-o-flex chucked up in a hand held electric drill, but I'm going to try your idea , as I think it offers more options.
      Wayne
      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Thanks a lot Joe. I will give it a try.

Comment

Great Idea
          Thank You!
          Last edited by johnvansyckel; 07-11-2022, 08:44 AM.
          John
          ​​​​​
          "Quality is not expensive. It is priceless!"

Comment

I have seen this trick before and they do a great job of buffing surfaces. As long as you plan to paint your work go for it.

Just thought I would mention: If you’re going going for a natural finished the buffing can inhibit the absorption of finish and create a blotchy appearance.

Comment

Thanks, Joe, and helpful information
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers used to sell the mandrels and the 3-M pads. I still have a couple of sheets of green and gray but I don't use them all that much because like a cushioned sander the sawdust goes up into the air and lands on other surfaces. It just doesn't work for me in this combination office/work space I have. However, I bought a couple of vegetable scrubbing brushes with real stiff bristles that I use in lieu of the power and for the most part they do a pretty good job.

Comment

Working...
                X