No announcement yet.

Glue up on Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Lightning Very challenging project looking good.

Comment

WOW, this one makes the one I did for the BUTLER COA. I just did relief carving on an old oak toilet seat. Wonder what the connection is between the COA & the toilet seat
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
        WOW, this one makes the one I did for the BUTLER COA. I just did relief carving on an old oak toilet seat. Wonder what the connection is between the COA & the toilet seat
        I ain't touching that line with a 10' plunger...

Comment

I finished cutting the stiles for a gate I'm making (welded steel frame, con heart redwood stiles). Embarrassing to admit, but I bought a SawStop PCS table saw in April, and haven't even plugged it in, since I have to run 220V wiring. I was using my old (SawStop) jobsite saw, but sold it a couple of weeks ago. Two of the gate stiles have to be ripped down. I'm at a point where the wiring is next in queue for the projects around here. Now that my back has reduced its complaints, I can get on with things. The real issue is that I have zilcho work space. I agreed to move to this house on the premise that I would have a real shop, but all I have is a small section of a 2-car garage. My neighbors tease me about having to walk sideways through the space, when I can walk through it at all. To top it off, one of my sons does handyman work as a side job, and his tools are all over the place. I'm thinking of making a shed in the back yard with stuff planted on the roof so that the city, when they fly their black helicopters over, think it's a yard instead of a shop. :lol:

Comment

Hi Ed
            Think I have to agree with Merle on this one. The eye is dragged all over the place trying to make sense of the almost random shapes. That with the contrasting colours makes these aspects the focal point of the piece and the fine quality of the actual work is to me LOST in it all. You don't actually see how well it is carved and finished until you go looking for those things. Is just too busy for the eye to make sense off I think.

I think it all boils down to what aspects of the work you want to portray to the viewer.

I think the way you plan your glue ups at present to hide the joins where you can brings a level of elegance to the work that this piece just doesn't begin to get close to.

When you look at a piece and your mind just goes WOW before you have had to think about it then I think you have nailed it and a lot of your work does exactly that but I can't see that ever happening with this piece. Harsh maybe but you did ask. I see that piece and think how wonderful it would have been done in a solid piece of Kauri. Tight vertical grain golden colour. It would be stunning.

Just my 2 cents worth.
            Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 08-24-2022, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              There is a book called "Woodcarver's Workbook". It is a book of animals that you do glue-ups. I've done one, it was a fun project.

These are pictures from the adventure
              Joe, I'm working on the cougar right now, close to finishing it up. I started it probably two years ago and then set it aside...couldn't get motivated, then I came across a piece of Mississippi River driftwood that I had stashed away and it struck me that it would make a great base for the cougar. That was enough to get me back on it

Good book!
              Arthur

Comment

I agree with Merle and Glenn, the joint lines distract the eye from the fine carving that it is. I find it almost disturbing to look at.
                Arthur

Comment

white glue will dry "clear" and will not be as visible.

Comment

Before I saw it, I knew that this carving was a glue-up of 100+ pieces of yellow cedar.
                    I looked hard, but the joints are invisible.

I believe that the opposite might work in some instances = make a fault into a feature
                    with outstanding and obvious jointings.

The Raven and the First Men: From Conception to Completion - Museum of Anthropology at UBC‚Äč
                    Brian T

Comment

Working...
                    X