When you don't have a band saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When you don't have a band saw

You may be able to try your local high school. In Canada high school have wood shops and auto body and so on. Most would be more than happy to cut out a bird or what ever for you at no cost.
    ~ Dwight
    "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Since that last post of mine, I've built up a Kestrel Tools Baby Sitka carving adze.
      Very effective rough-out tool. Long time in the learning of control but I see progress with each carving.
      Brian T

Comment

Thank you all. These are useful posts.
        Hazel Strickland
        AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

If you get the Harbor Freight Oscillating tool, also get the $6.00, 0ne year full extra warranty. HF electric tools are notorious for burning out but if it lasts you a year then the chances are that you've got a good one. Besides that, a year will give you plenty of time to put it to the test. Besides, HF tools are so cheap that the extra $6.00 isn't going to hurt you anyway. My kid bought a an HF sawzall 5 years ago and it finally fell apart last month. So last week he went down and bought a replacement for $19.00 on sale with the $6.00 one year warranty because he doesn't have any projects scheduled for the immediate future. $26.00 for a reciprocating saw is peanuts plus he got a nice LED flashlight free.

Comment

A general purpose Roto-Zip bit in a router works great. You need a 1/4" to 1/8" collet adapter. It's fast and you can cut intricate shape easily. I have cut up to 2" thick in three passes. You can cut 3/4 material in one pass.

Comment

Working...
            X