Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea to help visualizin designs

I hope the pictures come out!

I just started teaching myself to carve celtic designs, but its been very difficult "seeing" the back of the carving with just a front pattern to go by. Then I got the idea to make prototypes using polymer clay.

Print out the pattern and then, rolling out the clay into tubes, outline the pattern. It doesn't have to be perfect. It's just to give you an idea of how the weaving looks on the back.
    Attached Files

Re: Idea to help visualizin designs

now that Is a clever idea !
    Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

You are a clever one Jillsy!

Comment

Maybe it'll actually help!

Comment

Ah Visualizing, setting there just staring, trying to remember, oh crap~~~~~~~
          Speaking for myself, it sometime gets hard to do the visualizing, and any thing to help is a help. Thanks for the idea Jilisy. I have trouble with Celtic weaves, getting the bottom one deep enough to allow for the crossover. Thanks . . .JoeB
          . . .JoeB

Comment

The nice thing about models is that they come in an infinite series.
            Styrofoam, clay, cardboard, soap, wire, whatever. Must admit that from the model, I've sometimes realized that there's a right way to carve it and a wrong way which leaves me with nothing very strong to hang onto!

Question, Jillsy: can that clay be recycled? Like "Plasticine?"
            Brian T

Comment

Jillsy,
              THANKS!
              That is a neat idea!
              Jim

Comment

I just made another last night and right before putting it in the oven, I noticed it was wrong! Great part about clay is that I just broke the one loop that was wrong, adjusted it, and reconnected.

Robson, I don't know anything about this being recycled. Once its hardened, that's about it. It can be sanded, painted, etc, but not resoftened.

Comment

If that's polymer clay you're using, seeing you baked it, it probably is, then once its baked that's it but before that it can be re-worked for years. I have lumps sitting around that must be 5 years old. If it has been sitting for a while it will need some kneading to get it workable.

Comment

By the way Jiilsy, there was an error at the top of the cross you posted where one of the crossings was upside down.

Comment

Steev, can you explain more? Having trouble finding it. Definitely would like to see it before I wind up carving it! thanks!

Comment

Wait! Just found an error, but not sure it's the same one Steev's talking about. On the right arm, I have one weave that went over twice, instead of going under and over. This is exactly why I need to make these models! I checked it over and over before putting it in the oven to harden and see? I STILL found a mistake! Had this been a wood carving, it would have been ruined.

Comment

I think we're talking about the same error, where the upper weave coming from the right arm comes toward the vertical it goes over the over the weave coming from the higher part of the vertical rather than under it.

Comment

I tried to circle the error
                            Jillsy_edit.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X