This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some Basic Carving Safety

If you have long hair and using rotary tools- dremels and flexible shafts and the like, tie your hair back in a pony tail.
    If you are wearing a hooded sweat shirt while rotary carving, tuck the strings of the hood inside the shirt.
    I have never had lessons in woodcarving from anyone in person, so I didn\'t always know why I cut myself. Sometimes it took a few wounds to realize why it happened. I wasn\'t stupid, I just didn\'t know better.
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

I won\'t drink alcohol and carve using any kind of tool. Even just one beer and I don\'t trust myself. I would rather carve than drink.
      I have learned to not carve when I am really angry.
      Just my own safety rules for myself.
      My ETSY shop:

Comment

I guess we are created equal. Not all perfect.
        Carve On,
        Kadiddle

Comment

Pallin.... You\\\'ve saved me from going to confession this week. I can not tell a lie. I have to confess that I am stupid. I continue to bruise and rip the thin skin on my arms and stick myself with knives and gouges even though I know better and that I\\\'m not suppose too because I\\\'m on blood thinners and I\\\'m under doctor\\\'s orders to use more care. But even though I wear a full leather apron, a chain mail glove, and a full thumb guard, poop just seems to happen to me, so yes, I guess I am stupid. But my Daddy once told me when I first starting working that a man that ain\\\'t working ain\\\'t going to hurt himself.

You have your right to your opinion and I have my right to mine. I just feel that your opinion is a little heavy handed for our new carvers. Those of us that have been on the forum awhile know where you are coming from but anyone visiting the forum for the first time might take your statement for full face value. And I\\\'m just not sure that is the kind of impression that we should be making on our visitors.

Comment

Since I was mentioned specifically in his p ost, my take on this is what we call Deja Moo. Breathe in, breathe out, move on.
            Last edited by Claude; 06-27-2018, 01:19 PM.
            Brian T

Comment

I think I will go have a shot of tequila! With a beer chaser!
              My ETSY shop:

Comment

My Thumb Guard thread was intended mostly for the new carvers on the forum at the time. Seems to have helped a few, but the so called more seasoned carvers pretty much said what they thought was careless behavior and they never once got cut without protection. Good for them. It was a year or so ago, still works for me. Have a safe time, keep it fun.
                Carve On,
                Kadiddle

Comment

seasoned carvers pretty much said what they thought was careless behavior and they never once got cut without protection.

I had to laugh at this never got cut or never got hurt by seasoned carver.... I remember a few who swore they never been cut or hurt. Then they got caught in the untrue statement later on, in fact one person on here cut himself on video while teaching and sat there explaining that it did not count. Another man who was on here swore the same thing until you talked to his wife..... and another never did the work enough to consider as doing wood carving as a hobby. I learn the hard way you never believe 100 percent what people tell you. I tell people never believe 100 percent what I say... you take all this information and decide for yourself what will work for you and you learn from your own mistakes. I do believe that no matter what safety means you use that you must always be alert to the fact that the tools are dangerous and can hurt you,.......as I seen tons of seasoned worker get to used the machines, knifes and chisels....they do stupid things and get hurt really bad.I have heard hundreds of those stories. Not the ones .....oh I do safety things and never get hurt.

Comment

Ya got me Di. I never cut myself except a few times. LOL
                    Bill K.
                    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Yea, yea Bill I hear ya! LOL

Comment

Just to go off subject for one second..... Is anyone else getting a white screen when they try to go to \"Today\'s s\" or \"New s?\"

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                          Just to go off subject for one second..... Is anyone else getting a white screen when they try to go to \\\"Today\\\'s s\\\" or \\\"New s?\\\"
                          Yes, it is a problem with the search function. There are a number of posts about.

Comment

I can honestly say that since I quit drinking, I have not suffered any really GOOD cuts.
                            HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Some absolutely wonderful comments. I find that if I get up from carving say after about an hour and just go do something, trip to the fridge or mailbox gives me a little enough break to comeback refreshed.
                              www. woodcarvingsbyeric.com

Comment

The United States Armed Forces has quite a sample size of people whenever they decide to do an experiment.

Question: How long is the accurate attention span?
                                Answer: 45 - 50 minutes.
                                Question: \"Take a Break.\" For how long?
                                Answer: 10 minutes, _away_ from the task.

Sample size: 20,000 people. They did more but with no significant change in the answers.
                                = = =
                                Because of the high risk of injury, not to say that it must happen,
                                I do like carvereric.
                                Brian T

Comment

Working...
                                X