No announcement yet.

Relief Carving Escher's "Bond of Union"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil great subject matter, Major challenge for relief ....but your really great at working it out. .

Comment

This is such an incredible experience following your progress on this work. I feel that I have learned so much from your commentary as you have gone along. I also have appreciated your helpful comments regarding some of my carving. Thank you for posting your work.

Comment

Sorry that I've not shown any progress for some weeks. We've been settling into a new vacation home in WA, visiting with friends, and pursuing other activities. I'll have something to show on progress soon.

Comment

Okay, I have made a few shavings - still shaping the two heads and setting the depth of the floating hearts & spheres. I plan to texture the hair on the heads before starting the ribbons. You'll have to look closely to see any progress in these photos:

Bond11a.jpgBond11b.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

anticipation is killing us
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Starting to shape the waves in the woman's hair, but still need to work on her ear and the hair in that area. The pencil lines show where the gap in the ribbons will cut across her head.

Bond12a.jpg

Comment

"Simple" as they say. Yea Right. How about 25 layers of wood. slicing downward have layers coming out of the face - face 3-D and spheres floating here and there in space. Just a thought.

Comment

I am now thinking of changing this design even further - to make it a double-sided, pierced relief. This means the gaps between the "ribbons" will go all the way through the wood. The back side of the heads will be shaped and detailed. To give the final piece the necessary strength, the heads will have to have more connections than the single ribbon crossing at their foreheads. The placement of spheres/hearts will connect the heads to an embedded frame.

Your comments or questions are invited. -

Phil Allin

Comment

Hi Phil, Welcome back. Sounds like a Plan Phil . That's the way I would do it. Ha,Ha Ha. Merle

Comment

Wow, Merle! Now I know who to turn to if I reach an impasse on the design. Thanks! (in advance)

Comment

OK Phil that's a Deal , Boy are you going to be Sorry. Ha,Ha. Seriously Phil, that type of Carving Hurts my Mind and Eyes. I'll still be following along with you and see you make it happen. Merle

Comment

Interesting idea, Phil. How would you display it, hanging from a frame to be visible from both sides?
                          Arthur

Comment

Pierced forms of carving are used on doors or divider screens so that both sides can be seen when opening or moving the panel, but sometimes piercing is used to accentuate the depth of the design with no thought given to seeing the back. I think I will still hang it on a wall and encourage viewers to take it down and turn it around.

Here are some examples of pierced carving on a chapel divider near Cambridge, England:

chapel.jpgchapel2.jpg
                            Last edited by pallin; 10-09-2017, 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

saw this and thought of your style of carving
                              glitchinthematrixx.tumblr.com
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                                saw this and thought of your style of carving
                                glitchinthematrixx.tumblr.com
                                It appears to me to be a classic Celtic style relief.
                                Arthur

Comment

Working...
                                X