No announcement yet.

Relief Carving Escher's "Bond of Union"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice work, Phil! I'll call for an appointment when I'm ready for my frontal lobotomy.
    Arthur

Comment

Let me practice more, Arthur.

The gaps are going faster now, but the ones on the man's head will much deeper. As on the woman's head, there will be places that pierce thru the entire carving. I'm beginning to think about how this carving should be finished. The front side surfaces may be natural basswood, perhaps using gel stain to emphasize lines in the eyes and hair. The inner surface of the backside bands may be stained to resemble the shadows in the original. Here's a couple of progress photos:

Bond23a.jpgBond23b.jpg

Comment

All of the gaps have been started except at the tops of the two heads. This is the stage where I might need to add a sphere or heart inside the bands to give strength to the final carving. As I approached the bands on the man's neck, it was clear that there needed to be more shape to his chin and neck.

The process got me curious about how much wood has already been removed. I've written about it in a separate topic over in "Relief & Chip Carving."

Bond24.jpg

Comment

You may be wondering what this pierced carving will look like on the back. Here's a couple of photos showing the back as of now. Remember the man's & woman's heads are switched when you see this side. Some of the gaps have been started on the man's head. Some of the lines defining the woman's hair have been carved temporarily. The lines will be partly lost when I carve the gaps across the back of her head. Note that the heads do not overlap the frame in the back, and (so far) there are no spheres or hearts on the back.

image_9851.jpgimage_9852.jpg
          Last edited by pallin; 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM. Reason: insert photos

Comment

I'm just going to have to wait until you are completely finished, to really understand what you are doing.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

I thought the carving would be mounted on a wall for display which would mean that the back will not be seen, so I wonder if there's any reason to add the detail there.

Comment

I'm leaving open the possibility of displaying this piece so that the pierced, two-sided form can be seen - perhaps suspended on monofilament lines.

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                  I'm just going to have to wait until you are completely finished, to really understand what you are doing.
                  Joe: I'm simply carving a relief version of the graphic design below (left). The present state is shown on the right. Why? To show that it's possible. What was Escher thinking? Perhaps he was showing in graphic form how two lovers lives become intertwined as their relationship deepens. I actually don't know. For me it is a formidable carving challenge.

Union.jpgBond24.jpg

Comment

I had not seen the graphic design before, Now I see what you're up to.
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

• I mentioned quite a while back that most of this carving has been done with #3 fishtails, Here's a photo of the tools. The large (16mm) gouge is used most. When the area gets too tight, I switch to the Herring Bros (7mm). The double edged knife is used for stop cuts along the edges of the gaps. Yesterday I "rewarded" myself with the Pfeil #5f-8mm gouge. The cardboard with green compound is the only sharpening item I use.

Bondtools.jpg

Comment

• As the gaps get deeper, several other tools are needed - a #3 - 8mm spoon bent gouge and a #2 - 8 mm spoon skew (left or right) allow for shaping in the slots. Also some small straight gouges - #3 - 3mm - #2 - 2mm help with narrow piercings.

There are now sixteen piercings - places where the carving goes clear through the wood. The larger ones were cut with a scroll saw, but most of the recent ones have been cut through with gouges.

Comment

• Seventeen! As I carve deeper in the gaps, I either run into a band on the back side or I pierce through the wood. Piercing #17 is above and right from the man's eye. Some of the bands on the back side were misplaced, so as I connect the spirals I have to correct those placements.

Question for serious followers of this thread: Where will the next piercing be?

Bond27b.jpg

Comment

• Without looking back to the source, I guess just to the right of the heart above the man's forehead. This is quite a project.

Comment

Working...
                            X