No announcement yet.

Relief Carving Escher's "Bond of Union"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Richard. I thought it might be the first two-sided relief I had carved, but then I remembered a mobile I made for a grandson - described in this past thread: https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...-escher-mobile Likewise, I have other carvings that go all the way through the wood. But this started with a 2-dimensional lithograph by Escher that I wanted to do in relief. The depth of the design led to the two-sided, pierced relief idea. It is (for me) an interesting challenge.

Comment

• Riddled! I put a small heart in the lowest gap on the man's head. Then I pierced thru on both sides. So now there are 20 holes in this carving.

I'm beginning to think about how to finish this carving. After smoothing the faces, I will apply a sealer and wipe dark gel stain in the lines & creases. Then I may apply stain to the inner surfaces in the gaps, leaving any hearts or spheres unstained. Like the carving itself, the finish will evolve as I go along.

Bond29a.jpgBond29b.jpg

Comment

• Wow. Just, wow.

You start with a big honkin hunka wood and end up with a lacework impossibility. That's where I think this is going.

Comment

• We're now at the stage of "tiny cuts" - shaving off the fuzzies and smoothing the faces (what's left of them). I smoothed the outer edges on my belt sander - a little hand sanding will make them ready for finish.

One of the problems at this stage is preserving the sharp edges of lines while smoothing the surrounding surfaces. The gel stain process I use requires smooth surfaces that wipe clean while leaving stain in the grooves.

I've taken these photos at an oblique angle to show the depth of the carving.

Bond30a.jpgBond30b.jpg

Comment

• As I said before, this is now in the stage of tiny cuts, so the progress will be hard to see in photos. I'll hold off on photos until the project is completed.

Comment

• By Golly Phil I think you did what we thought was IMPOSSIBLE . Job VERY WELL DONE. Merle

Comment

• Phil, if I were to try something like this, my wife would have to lock me in the closet at night Can't wait for the finish
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                X