No announcement yet.

Relief Carving Escher's "Bond of Union"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The front side is nearly all stained. To wipe off the gel stain in deep spots I used Q-tips. The frame will probably stay natural on the face, but stained on the edges. The backside will be similar to this. I can still carve away stain that I want to change.

Bond34a.jpg

Comment

• Wow. That is just amazing. Every step of the way has been amazing.

Comment

• I started staining the back of the man's head. It shows what happens if the wood is not thoroughly sealed. So I'll sand off the excess stain from the bands and re-seal the entire back side of the carving before wiping stain into the lines on the woman's head.

You may wonder, "Why bother?" This carving will probably hang on the wall like the others. Since this relief is pierced, I want viewers to be able to turn it over and see the back side. One idea was to simply stand it on the fireplace mantle. The frame is thick enough to be fairly stable. But it may fall over during the next Calif. earthquake!

Bond34b.jpg

Comment

• This carving is nearly done so I tried placing it on the wall with other pieces. It seems to look best at eye level or above. I still plan to stain the outside edge of the frame and touch up a few errors.

Bond35a.jpg

Comment

• Phil, that is just great. I have been a fan of Gödel, Escher, and Bach since way before I stumbled across the book with that title. This and others of your carvings would be embraced by MC Escher. I think Hofstadter would have liked to include at least one in his book.

Comment

• This turned out great. I had wandered away from the forums for a few months, but then my curiosity on how this piece turned out brought me back. Looks cool!

Comment

• pHIL SAW THIS TODAY AND THOUGHT OF YOU
                . . .JoeB

Comment

• Thanks Joe, it's a special compliment to be associated with such fine carving even if it's laser-cut. When we become amazed by the capabilities of computer controlled carving machines, it's good to look back at the work of Grinling Gibbons in the 17th Century:

Acanthus (3).jpg

Comment

• You have great talent Phil. I believe we all admire your work. Thanks for the tutorials.

Tinwood

Comment

• I've hung it on the wall, over the fireplace. Is it done?
                      We carvers are never satisfied, so someday I may take it down to cut some flaw away. But for now, it's done.

That chip carved plate is from a class at the Oakhurst Rendezvous 2009.

Bondfinal.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
                        Phil, that is just great. I have been a fan of Gödel, Escher, and Bach since way before I stumbled across the book with that title. This and others of your carvings would be embraced by MC Escher. I think Hofstadter would have liked to include at least one in his book.
                        That is a good book I've read it and while at Schlumberger and bunking with my boss, had it in my case and he spotted it. Asked and then showed his. We were almost in the same spot at the same time but living hundreds of miles away and never talking about books before. It does have a good section on how the brain works. Three math masters, Physics, Math/art and J.S. grand music man. Martin

Comment

• Originally posted by pallin View Post
                          I've hung it on the wall, over the fireplace. Is it done?
                          We carvers are never satisfied, so someday I may take it down to cut some flaw away. But for now, it's done.

That chip carved plate is from a class at the Oakhurst Rendezvous 2009.

Bondfinal.jpg
                          Nice beard, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X