Attaching a cane handle or walikgstick topper to a staff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching a cane handle or walikgstick topper to a staff

I have had a number of people ask me how to connect the topper or the handle to a walking stick or cane. I use a 5/16th – threaded rod. Others will cut a tenon on the end of the staff and dill a hole in the handle to fit the tenon they made. Or use a hard wood dowel.

First I choose the staff I will use and cut it to length, trying to make a good 90 degree cut. Then I drill a 3inch deep hole in the center of the top of the staff.
    Next I choose the block of wood I will use for the top, I pick the location the staff will fit to bottom of the handle or topper I will make. Then choose a center point and drill a hole there. The depth of that hole will be 1 ½ to 3 inches depending on the height of the handle or topper. The next thing I do is shape the handle or carve the topper. Once that is done I cut the threaded rod to length. That being 3 inches for the shaft and the depth I made the hole in the topper or handle. For staff and duck head that was 4 ½ inches total. I use a 2part epoxy and glue the threaded rod in to the handle or topper
    j2.jpgj14.jpg

To square up the bottom of the handle or topper to the top of the shaft I use a method I learned from UK stickmakers. I cut out a 3inch disc from 3/4inch plywood. Drilled a 3/8th inch hole in the center and glued a piece of 3/8th inch brass tubing in the hole. Then put an 80 grit self adhesive sand paper on top and cut it around the wood.

j6.jpgj7.jpg

I then slide the 5/16th threaded rod attached to the handle or topper though the center hole on the sand paper side. By turning the disc it sands the bottom of the topper or handle flat and at a 90 degree to the rod. Then I remove the disc, flip it over and insert the rod though the disc and into the staff with the sandpaper working the top of the staff until it is flat and also at a 90 degree to the rod.
    j15.jpgj16.jpgj9.jpg

This gives you a good clean fit when you epoxy the handle or topper to the staff.

j10.jpg
    Last edited by Randy; 04-30-2018, 04:56 PM.
    Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Great idea! may have to try this sometime. Thank you for posting!

Bob L

Comment

Thanks Randy, I'm difintly going to save this post for future reference. That's a great method and clearly explained and photographed .
      Wayne
      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

A most valueable idea.which i can use later for sure.
        Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Thanks, Randy. Shawn Cipa uses a similar method. Looks like a very sturdy connection.
          Arthur

Comment

A big thank you for these explanations

Comment

Thanks Randy. That looks like a good tip I will use on the yucca stick I'm working on.
              Keep up the good work.
              flint

Comment

Thank you for that, Randy. It looks like it would work for pegging pieces together on a smaller scale too.

Comment

Thanks Randy, I was wondering how I could attach a carving to my a cane,
                  great idea!
                  Oscar

Comment

Working...
                  X