A way to do the eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to do the eye

Eyes were an issue for me for a long time. Over the years I have gotten better. This is what help me get started on doing a better eye. I learn this from a fellow carver many years back and do not remember his name.
    At the hardware store I got 5 different dynamiters of brass tubes 1/8th, 1/4 , 5/16th , 3/8th,1/2” . I cut 11/2 inch off each one and epoxyed those cut offs into 1 inch dynamiter dowels that I had drilled a ½ inch hole in and cut to 3 inches lengths and rounded one end. Using a burr I sharpened the inside edge of each tube.
    As you can see it is just scrap dowel and piece of brass tubing.
    IMG_0497.jpg
    I sharpen on the inside if the tube
    IMG_0498.jpg
    Then I draw a center line. Then using the punch I mark the eye ball. Then shape the eye and recess it back into the head
    IMG_0500.jpg

Hi Randy, I'm gona give it a try , it looks like a good idea. Thanks Again. Merle

Comment

Interesting. I use sharpened tubes for the pupil but never tried it for eyes in general. Great tip!!
      Terry

Comment

Ever try "pinching" the sharpened tube together to create an oval?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hindes View Post
          Ever try "pinching" the sharpened tube together to create an oval?
          By using the round tube an shapening the edge you can cut in the circle twisting it and controls even depths on both sides. Cruising it to get the oval only lets you push in the shape and it is hard to judge the pressure for even depths. With the circle I prefer to cut in the oval.

Comment

Thank you for this, I had been pondering using a metal tube, never thought of the handle. I would need to use a very small one and I've been wondering if it would just punch out a piece of wood. I guess I need to try.

Comment

Originally posted by sappy View Post
              Thank you for this, I had been pondering using a metal tube, never thought of the handle. I would need to use a very small one and I've been wondering if it would just punch out a piece of wood. I guess I need to try.
              If you sharpen the edge of the tube then you can twist it and cut the circle rather than punching it in.

Comment

Hey Randy, where did you get your tubing? I've been looking around and can't come up with these assorted sizes. Damm
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                  Hey Randy, where did you get your tubing? I've been looking around and can't come up with these assorted sizes. Damm
                  I got them at Ace hardware. I also have gotten them on amazon. Look under ( brass tube hobby ) they have assorted Metal Tubing of Copper and Brass packs for under $10. I use 1/8th inch and 1/4 and 5/16 most of the time.

Comment

Got some tubing order, an assort bunch, will just have to see what I get , Thanks for the help
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Very good tip. I'm gonna give it a try also. Only have to find a smaller diameter (1/8 or 3/32) regarding the scale of most of my carvings.
                      Jos
                      Belgium

Comment

Randy, how are you carving the bottom of the circle to produce the shape at the bottom? It appears that you shave down the bottom of the circle and carve out under the eye, but is that all you do to develop it?
                        Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                          Randy, how are you carving the bottom of the circle to produce the shape at the bottom? It appears that you shave down the bottom of the circle and carve out under the eye, but is that all you do to develop it?
                          Basically yes Arthur. I make the circle cut shallow then draw the shape of the eye socket holding the eyeball. Human eye socket is not as round and a dog or birds. Once I have the shape of the eye drawn around the circle I cutting in from the corners of the eye inward giving the curve to the ball to fit the eye socket. I hope that answers your question.

IMG_0512 (2).jpg

Comment

Thanks, Randy, very helpful.
                            Arthur

Comment

A chamfer tool works great for sharpening the inside edge.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X