No announcement yet.

A way to do the eye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good hobby store will usually have an excellent selection of brass tubing. I've also found it at a good hardware store and some home improvement stores. I'll get some pics up of a chamfer tool. You can also get oval tubing but I've yet to find it in the size I want. Lately I've been using eye punches that IIRC, I got from the woodcraft shop. They make nice circular indents and come in small sizes. I've also filed away edges of tubing to get "half" pupils. One of the things I like about using tubing to cut pupils is that the cuts serve as stop cuts to keep the paint from running when you paint the pupils.
    Terry

Comment

I agree Terry, but where I live mail order is the only option I have. I do have some heavy duty circular plug-type cutters but they are for regular lumber. I do have some various size tubing, thanks to Arthur.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Here's one of the chamfer tools I use. Hardware store item.
        Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry and very helpful...
          Bill

Comment

Got my order of assortment of tubing from Walmart yesterday. Pretty much trash, too small length-wise to use (longest about 1", smallest about 1/16", I kid you not), most too small in diameter, lots of aluminum. Essentially sweepings packaged up, something very few would buy if they had a chance to inspect beforehand.

Maybe Bill's assortment will be better.
            Arthur

Comment

Yikes, Arthur, mine isn't here yet but I'll set myself up for a disappointment. At least it wasn't expensive.
              Regardless, thanks for the post.
              Bill

Comment

Googled brass tubing, Hobby Lobby has 12 in length about $4 to $5 depending on diameter. All the eye punched I have seen are around $10 or more each. I was watching a Mike Sinnett stick making video He uses a brass rifle shell as an eye punch. 1/4 inch is 6.35 mm if I remember from my reloading days a 308, 7.62 is just a little over and a 223 is 5.70 mm. if you know a hunter they most likly have some brass.
                Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                  Got my order of assortment of tubing from Walmart yesterday. Pretty much trash, too small length-wise to use (longest about 1", smallest about 1/16", I kid you not), most too small in diameter, lots of aluminum. Essentially sweepings packaged up, something very few would buy if they had a chance to inspect beforehand.

Maybe Bill's assortment will be better.
                  I agree mine was the same.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Well, I got my order of tubing today from Wal Mart and has exactly what I need. Maybe I hit the lottery. I mostly do small caricature carvings and these tubes are perfect in size. A few are 1.5 inches long and a few are 3/8 in diameter. Mostly brass with a very few aluminum ones. FYI

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                      Well, I got my order of tubing today from Wal Mart and has exactly what I need. Maybe I hit the lottery. I mostly do small caricature carvings and these tubes are perfect in size. A few are 1.5 inches long and a few are 3/8 in diameter. Mostly brass with a very few aluminum ones. FYI
                      Bill, you are a lucky guy! Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket while you're hot!
                      Arthur

Comment

Just fyi, Chris Pye has a youtube video on making eye punches out of different sized nails and screws. It's under www.woodcarvingworkshop/tv. Sorry, but I don't know how to copy and paste on my tablet . I haven't tried it, but it seems to be pretty easy to do.
                        Thanks, Joan

Comment

Originally posted by miatawoman View Post
                          Just fyi, Chris Pye has a youtube video on making eye punches out of different sized nails and screws. It's under www.woodcarvingworkshop/tv. Sorry, but I don't know how to copy and paste on my tablet . I haven't tried it, but it seems to be pretty easy to do.
                          HI, hey I'm having troubles finding any of the info you've listed, I would be interested in seeing the video. Could you perhaps be a little more informative, please

. . .JoeB

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear., the title is " how to make wood carver's punches" , and it's under woodcarvingworkshop1. Just do a search in youtube. Www.woodcarvingworkshop is not a website ;(
                            Thanks, Joan

Comment

Got it, thank you Joan
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

now that is a discovery gotta get some of those

Comment

Working...
                                X