make a Propeller or large item to carve - R&D way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make a Propeller or large item to carve - R&D way

Construction of Wooden Propellers for Wind Tunnels 1941 NACA Langley Research Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1DCjR5mjnA

These are massive propellers - all built from 1" board. No one would bid on the project so they did it themselves !! If you build up flats to make bulk - this is one to see. Wow.

This is still in operation in the Santa Clara area near the end of the airport and the old zep hanger. Famous mil/research air strip. Black birds flew out of there.
    Martin

Neat to watch, thank you. How old were some of those "kid" workers? 12? 14?
    Lots of times, glue ups for wood carvings are the only possible way to get it done.
    What do you suppose would be done now? Some sort of polymer/glass casting and then a digital finish carving?

You will see Bill Reid's "Raven and the First Men" in the rotunda of the University of British Columbia
    Museum of Anthropology. It is so big that it was convenient to take the roof off the building for the installation.
    Over on the back wall is a cabinet with the original, maybe the size of a big grapefruit.

The big carving is a glue-up of 144 pieces of flawless yellow cedar (Chamycyparis nootkatensis).
    The glue lines are invisible. Maybe the shallow surface texturing helps to hide that.
    Brian T

Comment

Not a backyard operation, for sure, thanks for the post
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Very interesting and the lack of safety makes me shudder.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

The young ones were likely trade or high school kids in wood working - maybe vocation mode. Or sons and a daughter. I thought the process was wow an thinking of gluing up a rocking horse or such would be like that. I have a booklet on carousel animals that used like setups but specialized blocks that lock into each other.

Comment

It says it can't show the video because the YouTube account has been terminated.

Comment

Was an interesting video and the fellow sells shellac...wonder how you get banned for that?
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by reidcr View Post
                It says it can't show the video because the YouTube account has been terminated.
                YouTube is like that - a user signs up and creates a page. Puts in several and that is what they wanted for history. YouTube deletes all accounts that are not active - meaning their activity level not yours or mine. I had a YouTube with carving stuff and it went to vaporware because I got sick and stopped doing them for a while. Now they 'own' the pictures and that is that. I plan on trying again on a different topic and be active for a while again. At 72, one can't call the game, one simply plays. Martin p.s. When I found out they had a Movie owned by the National Archives with a section in it that is ours and is labeled that way and is copyrighted and protected their legal department threat me with lifetime no account until I mentioned the FBI was about to visit them due to Federal ownership the film had every frame smudged taking out names and ownership. I got my personal (wife and I) copy and typed in the data with the mention of FBI and it was off line in less than an hour. However the turkeys put our name out on the web as having it taken down. Now that I find outrageous. Martin

Comment

So how do others keep their accounts up?
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                    So how do others keep their accounts up?
                    One has to post every month or so or else. Constant posting and perhaps there is a PRO way but I only had Large file mode which was an upgrade. All gone. Been away but feeling better now.

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post

One has to post every month or so or else. Constant posting and perhaps there is a PRO way but I only had Large file mode which was an upgrade. All gone. Been away but feeling better now.
                      Things today seem to keep the low end user down. Thanks for the info.
                      Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X