Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing a 2-Dimensional Pattern from any picture or photograph.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LanywakaWeps View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I think in such situations, 3D modeling programs are well suited.
    I find a profile and a head on photo provides the information I need.

C09B26F0-D1FF-46BF-9C5D-2B6FE44FCD49.jpg BD6F1AB3-E11B-45DB-A88A-A0C7E0387854.jpg 9434C5F5-EE6E-4908-BAC9-76DC4A280185.jpg 27064FA9-D33C-49DF-A207-6DD09B80D285.jpg
    Last edited by Nebraska; 04-12-2022, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I think in such situations, 3D modeling programs are well suited.
      Got me curious and watching demo videos certainly reveals an interesting process. I was surprised how much of a hands on process it is. I thought you just scanned in a couple photos and the computer built the model. Wrong there is a whole lot of clicking going on. My searching leads me to understand that after working through a months long learning curve. Users can create a usable 3D head model in about 60 hrs. The modeling would more than double my time on project to create a bust. So while I think it is an interesting idea and certainly having a model you could rotate to different perspectives would be nice. Just not yet.
      Last edited by Nebraska; 04-13-2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

True, they are quite difficult to use as far as I know. I just don't quite understand how you're going to show the relief for cutting using a 2d model.But I think this is relevant for people who earn money by selling their wood products. If you do it as a hobby, then you hardly need such detailed models for your creativity. And some simple products can easily be ordered now according to their sketches. Recently, a friend ordered me a beautiful photo frame on https://www.frameshop.com.au/custom-picture-frames and the frame was very unusual in shape, so now you can do anything and you don't have to have computer skills to do it.

Comment

Lany,

Two 2D references with a 90° relationship provides a lot of data points. The eye judging the shapes and curves in the photos is the artistry of sculpture. I take a lot of measurements but you also need to carve what you see.

Comment

Just a thought to think about. Last two thousand years artists did not have computers for art. As in art education, you need to measure using your brain and learn skills. Plus add in the creative process which computers can not do. If you do use computer modeling a lot of people believe in today's world that a person did not do the art but computers did it. Something to ponder in this tech age. It is a time when robots are taking humans out of the picture and doing their jobs. So this goes to point of just what is art???..... a mechanical machine work or a piece of the soul of a real human being thought and process?????.. In my belief they are two major different things...when comes to being hand-made by humans. Yes, 3 D and two D can help, but the real question is just how far are you willing to go? And will a man give up his skills and give them to a machine? Pretty soon humans will no longer be needed to think...which I believe is showing its ugly head in today's world,.... in my own opinion is something that really needs to be discussed. Sort of like the movie 2001 a space odyssey..... was made in 1968> This movie was filmed with less computing power than the things that you’re holding in your hand. Yes, yes more help to do what you do but there is a cost of it....today it is taking people's jobs, tomorrow??? is it worth it. Scary that we have become sofa potatoes, that do not have to move but push a button and not think about it because the computer will do all the work for us. I do not believe real art is made by a computer but by a real human being.

I am a professional artist, selling various kinds of art for the last 51 years, my creativity and my fellow professional artist's friends' creativity never came from a machine but directly from my own brain and thought process... yes a computer can assist but is it a need to be successful....heck NO. I honestly believe when I need a computer to think for me...the art part and my own skills are dead. Are you a button clicker or are you the real deal? Today computers can make program forms in wood...from beginning to end. We do not need people to make it.
            Last edited by DiLeon; 04-18-2022, 10:54 AM.
            . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
              Just a thought to think about. Last two thousand years artists did not have computers for art. As in art education, you need to measure using your brain and learn skills. Plus add in the creative process which computers can not do. If you do use computer modeling a lot of people believe in today's world that a person did not do the art but computers did it. Something to ponder in this tech age. It is a time when robots are taking humans out of the picture and doing their jobs. So this goes to point of just what is art???..... a mechanical machine work or a piece of the soul of a real human being thought and process?????.. In my belief they are two major different things...when comes to being hand-made by humans. Yes, 3 D and two D can help, but the real question is just how far are you willing to go? And will a man give up his skills and give them to a machine? Pretty soon humans will no longer be needed to think...which I believe is showing its ugly head in today's world,.... in my own opinion is something that really needs to be discussed. Sort of like the movie 2001 a space odyssey..... was made in 1968> This movie was filmed with less computing power than the things that you’re holding in your hand. Yes, yes more help to do what you do but there is a cost of it....today it is taking people's jobs, tomorrow??? is it worth it. Scary that we have become sofa potatoes, that do not have to move but push a button and not think about it because the computer will do all the work for us. I do not believe real art is made by a computer but by a real human being.

I am a professional artist, selling various kinds of art for the last 51 years, my creativity and my fellow professional artist's friends' creativity never came from a machine but directly from my own brain and thought process... yes a computer can assist but is it a need to be successful....heck NO. I honestly believe when I need a computer to think for me...the art part and my own skills are dead. Are you a button clicker or are you the real deal? Today computers can make program forms in wood...from beginning to end. We do not need people to make it.
              Di... I agree. A computer should be a helper, not the end all.

Comment

Eddy mentioned Developing a 2-Dimensional Pattern from any picture or photograph. Where's the program there is no attachment or link

Comment

There really isn't one, Mike. Most of us do the same thing that Ed showed above: take a photograph, blow it up to the appropriate size (or shrink it down), print it out, and glue it to the wood (or trace it onto the wood using graphite paper). The fun part is when you can only get one view off the internet, say a front view, and you have to figure out the side view and sketch it onto the wood. Other "similar" images on the web can help with this.

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                  My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                  My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                  My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Like Claude says. I see lots of the stuff I want to carve on Pinterest. I use a program called "Snagit". It is a screen capture program that allows you to print what you see on your computer screen.
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                    X